What size slicks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Let's see who can give me more details...?

I am putting slicks on my 1983 Grand Prix. I currently have 16" IROC wheels (front/back reversed) with 3/8" spacers. The rear tires (245/50R16) are about 1/4" away from rubbing on the frame, and have no problems yet.

Through extensive research, I've learned that 28x9-15 is the "fattest" I can fit safely. But no one has specified wheel dimensions with this. I am assuming this is with 15x8" and 4" backspacing.

I would like to put a 28x10-15, but hesitant from the 'horror stories'. My car has an aggressive forward slant, with about 2-3" of clearance above the 245/50R16s. Logically, I figure I can put a 28x10 if I push out the wheels far enough.

My question is, what combinations of tire/wheel will work? I plan not to use any spacers, no cutting, or folding... Just STOCK setup.

I have heard:

28x10-15 on 8" wide, and 3.5" bs
same tire on 8" wide, and 3.75" bs

or should I stick to
28x9-15 on 8" wide, and 4" bs

I have added a picture to show the setup on this car.

PS: will a 10"wide slick even fit a 8"wide wheel? I figure the sidewall is big enough at 28"diameter.

I would love to have this delema resolved, can anyone help me out?

Thanks

monzaz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 2, 2007
Richfield, Oh
slicks

Well slicks play by different rules than any other tires...

You do not need a large slick in width or diameter to get the power to the ground. Unless you have a low 10 sec car SLICK tire size should NOT be an issue.

Pick one that fits and runs the correct RPM through the traps for your car and go have fun.

NOW if your doing it because you want a certain look ... (Oh Boy ) lol. Then that one is entirely your deal and your on your own.

Remember slicks will bubble and grow under burn out so watch the front and back of the 1/4 panels so you do not chop up the tires.

The track will also be very sticky. I doubt your gonna spin the tires with proper burn out and prepped track.

We run a 26 x 8 x15" tire on A 1979 Monza and pull the front tires with an 11.40 car NO NOS and 4000 stall. 1.40 60 foot.

Good luck on the choice...I know I did not pick a tire for you but hopefully I gave some info to chew on. Jim

shotgun

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2007
Nort o Philly
No one will (or should) give you the exact size. The build quaility of these car sucked and what fits one may not fit another.

My 79 GP was almost off a 1/2" off side to side.

275/60 x 15 fit just fine. Do some research on section width on a site like tire rack and compare to what you want to run.

Don't be afraid of spacers. A single spacer is NHRA legal. They can be use to fine tune the fit.

On the GP mentioned above, I ran a 3/8 on the d/s only to keep the tire off the rail.

The Cutlass has 30x9x15 Godyear slicks in a stock wheelwell.

What monzaz says about a slick is true unless it is a radial slick, which I run.

A Radial slick allow you to run the tire "closer" since it does not grow and move around like a thin wall slick. It acts more like a street tire.

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
What was the stock backspacing on these cars?

I've been told 4"

And if so, how far off the frame was the edge of the wheels?

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
my cragar black soft 8 with 4 " of BS was about a half inch from the frame rail.

bustedknuckles

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2008
Florrisant, Missouri
I have 26x11.5x15 mickey thompson et streets with 4.5" backspacing. 1/2" or so inbetween the frame rails. Remember not all slicks are created equal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor