What size Valve cover gasket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdubs482

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2010
So today i decided I wanted to Change the valve cover gaskets on my 83 Cutlass Brougham because there is some small leaks. Also i wanted to repaint them. When I called Canadian tire they said there were three sizes What size do i need for the Chevy 305?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
x2 if it's a perimeter bolt cover. the trick is to put a 1/8in continuous bead down on the head and let it set for 5min. then put a thin layer on the cover (use your finger to "smear" it on, you should be able to actually see through it) and place the cover on the head. put the bolts in place but do not tighten them down for at least 15min (not even finger tight.) then torque them down properly. you'll need an in/lbs wrench.
i do this even with gaskets (especially cork) but i use a very thin layer on both sides instead of a 1/8in bead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor