What the heck happened to prices ?

Doglips

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 7, 2022
Those prices are similar to what we see in the Midwest, it sucks but that is reality. We were getting front door quotes, (door and 2 side lights) in the 10-12k range, installed. 18k quoted for a roof... labor rates and material costs have caught up to reality. People in the industry I talk to don't expect them to come down because demand is still high. It may take a serious change in economy for material costs to fall... I'm not gambling that that is going to happen.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I've been looking @houses for the past few years and it's a tire fire..
We move into our current home in 2018. We over paid about $15k. Now houses in our neighborhood are $130k more than we paid, at a minimum. It’s insane.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
We built our house 2 years ago, finished a week before covid hit. Added a 3rd bedroom with legal egress in the basement a year later and refinanced since rates were so low. Appraisal for the refi came back at 230% of what we paid for it 🤯 and judging by what homes have been selling for, I don't think that's inflated

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Here's a good example from the waaay northwest:

One 8' 2x4 in 2018 - $2.95
One 8' 2x4 in 2022 - $9.39

Luckily drywall has only doubled in price. Luckily.
And yet you see lumber yards stacked full of wood. Inflated money grab and no one calling it out yet.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Um-Hum, and about the same up here. Made one foray into the local Home Depot for some 2x4's when I fabricated the lift flats for the van transmission job and all I found was fast growth junk. The only thing that grew faster than the wood was it's cost per. One of my to do's is a new work bench for the basement and for that I will be using 2x 4's that I already have in stock. Just hope I have enough to do the job properly. The most ironic aspect of all this is that I have a rail line close by and on a regular basis i get to see flat deck after flat deck loaded with lifts of studs headed elsewhere; mostly to the states to Lowes and Menards and Home Depot because, as mentioned, domestic wood supplies have taken repeated hits from fires (Now I wonder if there is a connection between supply absence and an increase in the consumption of s'mores here?) so American vendors have turned to us for wood, only to have the mills complain that our wood is priced cheaper and we violate the trade laws. Can't begin to count how many times this all went to court. Trade tribunals keep throwing the suits out and the suits keep refiling them. Must be a lot of lawyers needing new roofs on their summer mansions in the Catskills or wherever.

Nick

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Um-Hum, and about the same up here. Made one foray into the local Home Depot for some 2x4's when I fabricated the lift flats for the van transmission job and all I found was fast growth junk. The only thing that grew faster than the wood was it's cost per. One of my to do's is a new work bench for the basement and for that I will be using 2x 4's that I already have in stock. Just hope I have enough to do the job properly. The most ironic aspect of all this is that I have a rail line close by and on a regular basis i get to see flat deck after flat deck loaded with lifts of studs headed elsewhere; mostly to the states to Lowes and Menards and Home Depot because, as mentioned, domestic wood supplies have taken repeated hits from fires (Now I wonder if there is a connection between supply absence and an increase in the consumption of s'mores here?) so American vendors have turned to us for wood, only to have the mills complain that our wood is priced cheaper and we violate the trade laws. Can't begin to count how many times this all went to court. Trade tribunals keep throwing the suits out and the suits keep refiling them. Must be a lot of lawyers needing new roofs on their summer mansions in the Catskills or wherever.

Nick
My local yard (one of the largest on LI with multiple yards) gave me the excuse that the cedar comes from your area and the trucking problems that you folks were having made the prices climb. I think its all BS.

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
I'd wait on those repairs that can wait, until this over inflated market crashes, and at the rate its going it will be less than two years. Yes, everything seems to ratchet up the ladder and then falls back, but not to the level it was, unfortunately.

agreed, I'd wait on the repairs you can. houses here in Austin were selling at 110%+ asking price with multiple offers and less than 3 days on the market last year. this year it's closer to normal prices and an average of 25 days on market. it's starting to settle down but the prices shot up 20-30% but they aren't going back down

The government already wants America to go digital currency, probably so Americans won't be standing in line at the grocery store with a wheelbarrow full of money to buy one loaf of bread.

-Will
on this I disagree. I'm pretty sure the gubment wants people to go digital so they can track every dollar you spend and use the meta data to see if your spending is in line with your income and you've got no unreported income

• Agree

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
As for building materials, guess what the wildfires out West are consuming? WOOD! A friend of mine works for the Bureau of Land Management and he says the loss of forests will take decades to recover.

Not as much lumber comes from out here as you might think. 40 years ago this area of Northern California was a major logging hub. Not anymore. Almost all of it was lost to Canadian imports. Ironically though when I bought some 2x4s at the local Home Depot they were marked as coming from an outfit still logging in WA. But I doubt the fires have found much activity to make a dent in. Certainly nothing like say 60 years ago.

There have been proposals to allow companies in to thin out the fuel, but I don't know that all that much has actually happened on that front.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor