What to look at on a GN?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Hey guys I'm in serious trouble here my Olds isn't even really off the ground yet except a collection of some of the parts I need for it (still have a bunch to go though). Well yesterday I found an ad for an '84 GN on the other side of the state where I just happen to be heading tomorrow. Car interior is rough (seats are trashed), body looks straight (at least better than my Cutty), says in the ad the timing chain is busted so I would expect some possible damage there. Basically apart from the busted chain looks like a used unmodified '80s car (even has stock rims).

First off what is the potential damage from the busted timing chain? I know some engines its not a huge deal, then on others it means everything is basically toast. I don't really care about the seats so much but figure I could use it as a point to talk the price down. I have not dealt with these cars at all so what else should I look at that is specific to the GN for problem areas? Is it possible I mighty be able to just replace the timing chain and go (I'm thinking no)?

The GN and GNX are kind of my ultimate G body so if I can figure out how to swing this deal I would love to if its not going to just end up killing me on the money side. Guy is asking $4500, think there would be reasonable room to negotiate down on the price from the description of the car with its problems already known?

Thanks.

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
sounds to me like alot of work for a trashed roller. more then likely the motor is jusnk and if the interior is trashed it prolly hasnt been very well taken care of for a gn. i just saw a low mileage gn around here and the guy only wanted $4500 and it was mint. why pay that much for it when you can even buy a shell and have a decent clone for around that much if you have alotta the stuff laying around

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
I very rarely see GN's out here, well actually where I live I have NEVER seen one. There is another that is in pieces and the guy wants $7000. Guess I will keep looking and not torture myself with going and looking at it. Besides my girlfriend would kill me considering we may be expecting by the way its looking.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
I have an 84. If you were to try and restore that thing it would cost a fortune. The one year only Leir zeigler seats are over a grand to recover to original. The motor is a very unsatisfying hot air turbo. Even if you were to rebuild it you would have been better off buying an 86 87 cold air motor with miles on it. 84's are great if you can get them cheap to part out. I had a couple turbo setups off of mine and got really good money for them because it was an 84 85 only turbo setup. I would definitely pass on that one. I am just like you and get excited over certain cars that pop up and I know how tough it can be to talk yourself out of one. I would just be more patient. sorry

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Oh trust me I would much rather hold out for one I would be happy with versus getting one that would sour me on the cars.

For future reference then the 86 87 cars are more desirable? Are there particular issue in the GN's that are unique to them? I know that some I find may be complete beat because of previous owners abuse (like any performance car).

I'm trying to fight the urge to graft a Regal front end on my Olds because I like the front better however I like the rear quarters on the '80 Cutty then add the GNX flares with fillers on the rear quarters to round things out. However I think both the Olds and Buick guys would string me. Granted I'm already planning on using Regal bumpers (for lower profile) pulled in if I use the Cutty nose, my interior is out of a '99 Grand Prix GTP, engine is a Chevy. I'm basically piecing it together from just about any GM rig I can find parts from that I like, and find because my yard pickings are far and few between for RWD cars.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
yes 86 and 87 are the better ones. Do what ever you want to the car. You will always get someone who doesnt like what you do to a car no matter what you do to it. Do it for yourself not everyone else.
The GTP interiors are nice and shouldnt be that bad to fit it in.
Have fun with it!

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
I think it'd look pretty cool with the regal front end on it! 8) to heck with purists!you paid for it, you wrench on it,you drive it...build it the way you want it! the was a guy awhile back on cardomain who had a wrecked elcamino, and a badly rusted cutlass, and grafted the cutty nose onto the elky...sure he took a bit of heat from both sides, but got a whole lot more compliments then negative criticism.

I'm like you, piecing mine together from what I find at the boneyards....I got my seats from a 96 FWD cutty supreme, and console from a 89 fwd olds 98 with some kinda performance package....only thing thats going to be original on the car when I'm finished is probably going to be the body :lol: enjoy your car the way you want it to be!

don't forget to post some pics...as soon as I can get back on mine, I'll be starting a thread of my own... :wink:

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
Funny thing is I was talking to my GF about the car last night (she is helping me work on it so I like to include her on ideas) and I told her about my idea for a front end swap. Well she asked what the GN/Regal looked like so I pulled up some photos online and she liked the front better. Two changes she wants to make though (things I thought of before) is Trans Am fender vents and a shaker instead of the regular bulged hood or cowl (I had pointed the shaker out on an ElCamino around town). My local yard has the driver side fender and hood, so I would need to find a passenger fender, complete header panel and bumper fill. She is actually thinking about buying me the parts for Christmas 8) . And you know the project name for the car is "Bandit" so I guess it just wouldn't do to have it follow the "rules"

Anyway back to the GN are there any weak points to the engine to look for? As at some point I still want to hunt one down even if I do the front end swap. The car I'm building right now would not be a regular driver (more fun car weekend autocross rig) and I would love to get a GN as my regular run about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor