What type of power steering fluid ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that was really helpfull :roll:
Still dont know what to use now, do have half a can of bright red ATF, and i have an automotive store about 1 mile away where i can get PS fluid.
My gut feeling says go out and buy the damn stuff, but my cheap *ss penny pusher side says use the ATF.
so still dont know what to do

(in the voice of Michigan fans at the BIG HOUSE)
ATF....ATF.....ATF....ATF....ATF :banana:

been using dextron atf in my PS system for years and no problems, i like it becsaue it has a higher heat range, doesn't foam, and doesn't hurt the o-rings (just be carefull, there are many types of AFT out there that may hurt your system, so stick with dextron/mercon, don't use Ford F-Type trany fluid)

just don't use it in hondas or audis (they use magical stuff in there PS systems)

EDIT: Feel free to mix the ATF with your existing PS fluid (thats what mine is), all the fluid does is keep the pump lubricated and uses hydrolic pressure for stearing

Okay i used the bright red ATF for flushing the system, changed it out for dextron after a couple of days.
Problem still exists, after sitting for a while the car has no PS with cold startup, once i have been forcing the steering wheel from left to right PS comes up, fades a bit and then works for the rest of the day perfectly, i guess PS pump is at its end of its life.?
Does anyone know if there is a drain plug on the steeringrack house to drain the old oil, i want to drain everything out if i place a new PS pump.

Collector said:
Okay i used the bright red ATF for flushing the system, changed it out for dextron after a couple of days.
Problem still exists, after sitting for a while the car has no PS with cold startup, once i have been forcing the steering wheel from left to right PS comes up, fades a bit and then works for the rest of the day perfectly, i guess PS pump is at its end of its life.?
Does anyone know if there is a drain plug on the steeringrack house to drain the old oil, i want to drain everything out if i place a new PS pump.
Not sure on drain plug but ive always removed the return hose and started the car. Then i add more fluid to the pump and work the wheel back and forth to flush all old fluid out of the system.

You could install new pump and leave the return off until it pumps enough thru the steering box to flush it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor