Whats the Best way to remove paint to bare metal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G-BUDDY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2009
THIBADAUX LA.
I know u guys have been down this road before.whats the best way to get the entire body down to bare metal with out warping it up ?With out sandblasting.

350_85cutty

Master Mechanic
Sep 2, 2007
West, TX
chemically...a good stripper, like an aircraft stripper should do the trick

svltrack

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2009
First thing to do is talk to the body shop you plan on taking it to for the final paint. See what they want for a prep setup. This will save you having to redo all the primer you put on.

To strip, I use aircraft stripper which you will paint on like you are painting a house. Then a plastic scraper will take the "goo" off.

The rest will depend on what your body shop says but I run a light sand paper over the whole thing & then clean it. Run a good etching compound to adhere to the bare metal & prevent rust. Then it goes to the paint booth for the rest of the steps.

G-BUDDY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 2, 2009
THIBADAUX LA.
Thanks for the info sounds pretty simple!!ok when using aircraft striper and all the paint is off. Do I just sand it down or do i need to wipe it down to get off aney left behind striper? And does it take it down to the metal with one app or does it take a few to get it all off?

svltrack

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2009
G-BUDDY said:
Thanks for the info sounds pretty simple!!ok when using aircraft striper and all the paint is off. Do I just sand it down or do i need to wipe it down to get off aney left behind striper? And does it take it down to the metal with one app or does it take a few to get it all off?

You kind of have to you use your best judgement on how much sand paper to use. When I do it I use as little as possible. First because it is a pain in the *ss & second because you want the metal there.

This is the first thing that comes in contact with the metal so make sure to clean it very well. If you do not have a good start the rest of the job will look like crapola.

Stripers are pretty good on taking all the paint off. You will find some spots are a PIA though & you may have to do it a couple of times. You will figure out the best results with your particular product & should ge the hang of it rather quick.

Wear protective items & make sure to put a drop cloth down unless you want a really bad mess

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Have your car soda-blasted. It's extremely gentle on the sheet metal, won't harm your trim or even rubber, and they can do it right in your driveway. Call around for some local places.

If you use chemical stripper, make sure to run a strip of 3/4" masking tape along all the gaps between panels, you don't want that sh*t creeping around and dripping behind stuff.
After you've stripped the car, scrub it with soapy water and rinse, then use an air gun and blow it completely dry.
If you do not wash off the residue left by the stripper (hehe), good luck getting anything to stick to it later on.

SafariWagon

Master Mechanic
Jan 15, 2009
I am NO expert, but I took a paint class last spring put on by guys from PPG. They said avoid chemical strippers! It gets stuck in the pours of the metal and works it's way out of the metal after the car is painted. May take a few years even but it will eventually bubble the paint. They said if it was used wash the entire area off with plain cold water to nuetralize the chemical. Their advice was media blasting. Soda is a salt type product which they didn't reccomend either. Most use plastic media, walnut shells and other types in a mixture. Will not warp panels if being done by a experienced person, but requires extensive clean up afterwards..........it gets everywhere. I had the jams done on my wagon and can definately say it gets everywhere! After blasting sand down with 80 grit sandpaper (to knock down the pourus texture) and top it off with a good self etching primer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor