whats this on my Saginaw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianGMCgirl

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 27, 2014
Leduc,Alberta,Canada
Need help identifying this ...it has nothing plugged into it..so what was it for????..The other one on the right is my reverse switch that I replaced recently as that one broke ..the levers hit it.new one is smaller and fits better.

Attachments

• what is this.jpg
    what is this.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 801
It's a high gear switch, notice it is located on the 4th gear lever. Back around '71-'72 GM used a vacuum/electrical switch that only allowed distributor vacuum advance when the trans was in high gear. This was for emissions purposes. I think if you check the date codes on that transmission you will find it is from that era.

hmm so im guessing someone changed my transmission..hmmm looks like some jerk blew out my rear end too..as its not posi anymore..the engine was also replase with a factory gm 350 as well..did someone blow up my car in the past???? wow now I realize im lucky my new HURST shifter fit this..as I ordered for a 79 Saginaw trans..and my install kit was discontinued..ill check the stamp on my transmission..

Alot can happen on a vehicle in 35 years. If you don't know all of the history on the vehicle since new, then it can be hard to tell what's been done to it, or sometimes even how many owners the vehicle has had. Good luck with your research.

canadianGMCgirl said:
hmmm looks like some jerk blew out my rear end too..as its not posi anymore...

Have you removed the rear end cover to look at the carrier? It's a good chance it's still posi but so worn out it acts like an open diff.

All the 3 and 4 speed Saginaws are the same dimensions with the exception of the A/G body versions. By that I mean the shifter mount is bolted to the end of tail housing and and the shifter bolts to that. The Hurst is designed to bolt right up like an OEM shifter. The '78-'87 A/G body Saginaw has a flat sided tail housing that accommodates a large shifter mount that bolts to the main case and tail housing and positions the shifter about 6" forward. This is because the base cars came with the 3 speed Saginaw and a bench seat, so the shifter needed to clear the seat as well as the dashboard, which it does, barely. The Hurst also fits this type mount. The trans year is unimportant, what is important is the gear ratios. First gear could be 2:56, 2:85, 3:11, or 3:50 to one. This makes your rear gears selection critical. My own preference is the 3:50 first with a 2:73 rear, giving me almost 10 to one overall ratio for easy takeoffs, while giving me a highway cruise speed of 60 mph at 2000 rpm. Here is a short chart with # of grooves and gear ratios. The grooves are found on the input shaft. I am sure there are exceptions to this rule.
0 2.85 2.02 1.35 1.00
1 2.56 1.81 1.37 1.00 Third gear on cluster has 25 teeth
1 2.56 1.81 1.44 1.00 Third gear on cluster has 21 teeth
2 3.11 2.20 1.47 1.00
3 3.50 2.48 1.65 1.00

Reactions: Sweet_Johnny
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor