What's up Everynoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 24, 2008
Ohio
I have a 84 Pontiac Grand Prix Brougham. It originally came with a V6, but replaced it with a 455 with a 350 transmission. Of course u know the brougham doesn't come with bucket seats. And it has the gear shifter on the steering wheel collum. I want to install bucket seats and a center console with a floor shifter. Have anyone ever done this conversion? Is it a easy installation? Will an 80's model Monte Carlos console fit or do it have to be from a Grand prix? Finally, what kind of transmission do u recommend I swicth to or could I used the same one? Any help on this subject will be greatly appreciated.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
The 350 is an excellent transmission. If you want better strip performance, keep it. If you want better gas mileage, consider an overdrive transmission.

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
If the th350 transmission is in good shape you might just keep it especially if you don't drive out on the highway a lot. The conversion is definately do- able but I don't know whether or not you can use the monte cluster. I am a big fan of a mildly built 200-4r overdrive tansmission for these cars especially for a hot, real, I'll drive it to an out of state carshow if I want streetcar. Find a healthy one out of a GN/Ttype/442/or MCSS and you can get by with a GOOD shift kit such as the one CKPerformance sells ($99) and a large cheap transmission cooler.

Check out www.robertpowersmotorsports.com for some ideas. Bob ran a 455 Olds "street car that I run on the track not racecar that I run on the street." He had a pumpgas setup with AC, cruise, power brakes & power steering that ran 12.3 at 110mph and got 14.5mpg before being stolen and he wasn't done tuneing it. Oh yea welcome to the site.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
welcome to the site. it sounds like a good car you have there.
if you still have the V6 (2.41) rear gear i'd definately replace that, you will notice the difference. i'd go with a 3.42 or 3.73 with an overdrive 200r4. 3.08 or so with a th350. the 350 is a great trans, one of the mopst popular in drag racing. for street, or mixed driving, a properly built 200r4 will do extremely well and will give you good low RPM cruising on the highway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor