What's Your Automotive Perversion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My neighbor had a 1968 302 in his 1973 Camaro RS with a Muncie M21, and I rode in that. Not much below 3,000 RPM, but get it past that, and man could that thing rev!

The only bad part about the FD RX-7 TT is that it used a speed density fuel injection system that is unable to compensate foe even minor changes without risking the delta seals. As you probably know, rotaries get their lubrication from oil added to the air/fuel mixture, so any lean out will kill the delta seals very quickly. The warranty problems from these cars was part of the reason the Renesis rotary in the RX-8 was N/A and not turbo.

I called many body shops in many different places all over the states. You seems to be comparing high dollar stuff again though. Etching primer is awsome and "factory" colors are nice, but both are VERY expensive. Try getting that Winner's Blue, or Vitcory Blue (I can never remember which one it is) that Mazda uses a lot on the RX8, WOW! When I talk to these people it is all cash money, basic primer, panel replacement (owner supplied parts), and single stage gloss color paints. If one does not mention or show cash money the estimated price is always way higher than it should be. I am a mechanic (of 12+ yrs) and do a lot of the work myself, I guess I just know all the right questions to ask and the things to say. I have been in and around car shops since I was old enough to talk, my mom tells me I was watching Corvettes by the time I was two. Guess it is just something that comes natural for me, just a couple days ago I found, and bought a rebuildable 700R4 for $50.00.

I get deals all the time too. Edelbrock Performer SBC intake- $15, Performer carb with manuals-$25, TH200 4R-$35, 3 core G body radiator $35, Aluminum hood $30, 3.23 axle-$50, door-$50, Trunk lid- $25. I also get a lot of freebies from friends I help like the 3 Holleys my neighbor gave me ( one with the 302)- 650 Double pumper, 750 Vacuum, 600 vacuum, oh, and a Quadrajet. I'm running a $10 starter and alternator, $13 battery, 2 10 in Alpine subs with box $50, JBL 3.5 in speakers $4 for the pair,etc. I personally won't use cheap paint. I use Diamont or Deltron because the cheap stuff doesn't last as I learned with my time using Omni. I also hate quickie bodywork as it always cracks or rusts out within a year or two-and I am the "Bondo king"- I can mud anything! I even do cars for friends for free when I am bored because I hate looking at minor flaws I could have fixed were I there. Oh, and I am my own mechanic too. Even after 270,000 miles, my Nissan truck has been touched by someone else only 3 times, once under warranty, once to fix it after an accident ( insurance was paying) and last year when the trans was rebuilt because it was only $550 and there was no discount to install it myself. My Cutlass never gets touched by anyone but me unless it's for an alignment.

Ah sorry didn't clarify, I don't mean cheap quality paint, I just refer to single stage being less expensive than a base coat/clear coat deal. I'm fairly sure it was you saying your $700 paint was a factory color. I prefer to use either Dupont or House of Color for paint, and what little work I can do on a body I prefer 3M products. Usually it is just the fact that there is only one phase to the paintjob, aside from primer, which is how it was done all those years ago with the laquers. It is just the way I like it, Quality, but Basic; I tend to drive hard and paint gets chipped up too much. I've never learned to use bondo, but I am good with Fiberglass. I cannot vouch for the quality of craftsmanship I would recieve from the shops I called, but the one I use here does very good work. I prefer as little bondo and 'glass as possible and the guy that does my bodywork and welding for me is a perfectionist and loves to use sheetmetal instead of mixes. As you clearly know, cash is power. The price goes down considerably (especially in private ownership) when cash is involved. I love the trade work system also; I'll tune for you, you paint for me, that kind of thing.

Yeah the Delta seals are the biggest cause of the reliability issues the rotory suffered, from what I understand having never owned one. The rebuilds on those things are astronomical. And as most of the other vehicles usind speed density type sensory, it never seems to work quite they way it was engineered.

Yeah, when I want to do a cheapie paint job I usually use white. The last two I did cost me $300 and $500, both done with PPG's shitty OMNI Acrylic urethane single stage paint. My AMC required a few panels and cost me $300, while my beater Nissan work truck required a new tailight ( $25 on Ebay), new window seals ( $150 on the net), a set of door strikers, 2k primer, etc and cost me $400-500. Both cars had their jambs done ( the truck was done in it's factory QM-1 Cloud White, but I hate overspray and half painted stickers in the jambs). The truck was painted with the bumpers, door windows, weatherstripping, tailights, turn signals, grille, and mirrors removed and the tailgate and hood were both done off the car since it allowed me to eliminate any masking lines. Both were just beater jobs, so the truck only took about 70 hours of prep; the AMC took longer because I had to weld in a few patch panels. The Olds was too far gone to do quickly and be able to live with it, and required 13 or 14 patches to be welded in, most of them in the roof. The windshield was also shot, and it leaked water, the back window rattled because it came unglued, the driver's door suffered from metal fatigue and rust and was replaced,The driver's hinge was worn out where it held it open and slammed on my ankles, the passenger's side door was rusty and scarred from a road rage incident, the trunk lid was banged up, the hood was rusted out from the inside, the header panel was cracked, back bumper rusted out, etc. I also had rust in the floor in the driver's side foot well and ground it down and then acid etched it followed by a fiberglass job I am not proud of. However, I can see through it and it has not rusted under it again. It was just badly pitted and had only a few pinholes. I also eliminated the Landau top and changed the quarter windows as well as using All-Metal to fill in the seams where the top had been. I'll also clarify that I do not use a lot of filler thickness unless absolutely necessary and have only one area more that 1/8 in thick. It was my old, beat up pizza delivery car with 240k miles when I started the bodywork. As such, I skimmed large areas rather than fixing individual minor blemishes as it tends to come out more uniformly if you do that. Many of these places have filler so thin you can see through it when I am finished sanding it. It's arrow straight where it is finished, but the paint I laid on 3 years ago went bad with a peeling clear coat. I spent an extra $300 for the Diamont this time over the cheaper Omni I used last time. It's cheaper to buy better now than do it again a short time later. I also had this problem with the Mustang Convertible I did for a friend at around the same time-the inexpensive paint didn't turn out to be cheaper.

Oh, on the AE86 Corolla, there are two names for it in Japan depending on the bodystyle, just like the S13 is either a Silvia or 180sx depending on the body. One is called the Trueno and the other the Sprinter. I forget which is which, but I do know the GTS model in the US had the 4AGE DOHC 1.6 liter 4. This is the same engine used in both the Corolla FX/16 and the Mk 1 MR2. The MR2 was interestingly available with a factory Eaton supercharger that had a computer controlled clutch that could switch it on and off-Mad Max style! I have no idea how it gets it's airflow with it disengaged, but it is a cool little factoid. Another factoid no one cares about is that the slang term for the AE-86 is Hatchi-Roku, the Japanese words for the number 86. Also, for such a popular drift car, I find it funny that it has a live axle and not an IRS as most import enthusiasts tend to turn their noses up at a live axle.

As for the auto perversions...

I'm kind of living mine, I've got a 4x4 (not awd anymore) Astro, and a rwd Safari with a TPI 305 in it.

Next summer, when I have the Monte on the road or a beater, I'm going to combine the 2 vans into a lifted, 350 TPI 4x4 Safari van.

I have my vans so I don't do anything else to my wife's '99 AWD Safari conversion, which I did get away with putting a G80 locker in the rear.

Vans are the norm now, since I have 4 kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor