WHEEL AND TIRE SIZING HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodyera

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Miami,FL/ DET,MI
Hey guys. Im picking up a set of 15in Cragar SST's to throw on the Cutty. The front are 15x6 and the rears are 15x10.
I dont know too much about small rims and tires. I want some pretty fat and wide tires on the rear and ok size on the front. ANd I may get some BFG's, idk yet.

What size tire you guys running with 15 in rims? PICS ARE BETTER THAN WORDS!!!!

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
might wanna be carefull with the backspacing on the 15x10s...
Ideally, you don't wanna go much wider than 8 on the back with these cars. And on a 15" rim, you can still get some big tread on there.

I would recommend 215 or 225 on the front, and 255 or 275 on the back. both in 60 series...

You may hvae to notch the frame with those 10s, or if the backspacing is good, then you may get away by rolling the fender lip.

hope that helps...

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
gbodyera said:
The guy said the 15x10's have a 4" backspace. I think Ill be ok.

cool that should work,

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I think with a 10" wide rim, with only 4" backspacing, the wheel will stick out too far. The tire will definately stick out past the body lines.

A 295 tire on a 10" rim is no problem. But since it will stick out soo much, it may cut itself on the fender skirt lip when the car hits a bump. You will need to roll this lip in.

Why not go with a 8" rim?
With a 8" rim, and 4" backspacing... you won't have any of these problems. And you should still be able to do a 275 tire, and go taller, like a 60series (275/60R15), which may look better in the end. And give you more traction.

I still think 225 is a good size tire on a 6" rim...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor