Wheel backspacing question

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
I'm still working on my sister's 86 MCSs.

Had a few setbacks. And am finally turning the corner on getting it back together again.

She's having difficulty deciding what she wants to do about wheels. She's leaning towards upgrading from the stock 15x7 to 17x8.

For those who have done this, did you go with 4.5" backspacing. I measured the stock wheels to have 3.75" bs. Im trying to talk her into the repro stock wheels that I'm seeing with a 4.25" bs. The American Racing VR501s that she's leaning towards come in 4.5".

I'm thinking the extra quarter inch isn't something to worry about. But since I have you guys to ask, here I am. Oh and the car is slightly lowered with a coil cut out of each corner spring.

IMG_20230727_112742003.jpg

Last edited:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
4.5" backspace will limit tire width to 245 or 255 to avoid rubbing. Wider will require longer studs/spacers to avoid contact with the frame rail.

This is my experience with Malibus, others may vary. I don't own a Monte, but I presume the frame width to be common across all carlines.

My Malibu coupe is currently set up with 4.5"BS Weld Prostars, 275/60 tires, 1/2" spacers and 2.125" long studs. If it cools off anytime soon, I'll be giving it an enthusiastic test drive to verify clearance. Honestly, if i had the chance again, I'd have stuck with 255s, but they were 14 years old and the 275s were free, so.......

I did run some Eagle alloys a while back that were 4.5"BS with 245/45-17s all around with no issues on one of the wagons. They were tight on the rear, but didn't rub.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
My cutlass has 17x8 4” bs in rear , with 275 50 17 rubber perfectly centred about 3/8” from frame and I had to trim my fender lip for clearance
When I had 255 series on rear there were zero runs or issues
Fronts are 245 45 17 on 17x8 w 4 3/4 backspace minor rub at full lock on frame at rear of tire
Hope this helps

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor