Wheel hop

Status
Not open for further replies.

malibu80

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2008
Seattle washington
In my 79 Ls1 Malibu, I've got excessive wheel hop that I'd like to get rid of. The rear is a Ford 9" with adjustable UMI control arms. Control arms are set to factory length. Any suggestions.

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
check the springs and shocks make sure theyre in good shape

check all the bushings - new rubber or urethane tightens things up

check pinion angle (pinion relative to driveshaft). being out of spec here has caused wheelhop for me several times.

vonclod

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2012
Delta B.C.
techg8 said:

check pinion angle (pinion relative to driveshaft). being out of spec here has caused wheelhop for me several times.
i just bought a monty rear end with a 3.73 and it has traction bars which as far as i can tell just change the pinion angle

malibu80

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2008
Seattle washington
techg8 said:

A little history...I was having wheel hop issues when I had the stock control arms, old shocks and old springs. I proceeded to change out the shocks and springs first and was still having wheel hop. I recently changed my stock control arms with adjustable UMI control arms and still having wheel hop. The only thing I haven't done is check the pinion angle. How do you check pinion angle and how much pinion angle should I have?

Thanks

novadave1973

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2013
I was reading some old posts looking for some ideas for my 86 regal and ran onto this post...not sure if this will help or not, but my buddy has a 98 gmc Sonoma..4 cyl 5 speed. he has done some work to the truck lowed, rear disc, gears, underdrive pulleys and cold air intake.. the truck is by no means a power house but it is fun to drive...anyway..we have had many issues with the wheel hop and being true gear heads we never let off until it goes or brakes...and it has broke many times..the cure for this truck was taken from the s10 extreme chassis.. they use a 3rd shock much like a steering dampner you would find on the fron of many 4wd trucks...it is bolted to a bracket on the rear and again to the frame on the passenger side of the truck....it works...we installed this set up on his Sonoma and we can pop the clutch at 5k rpms and all she does is spin... nnot one ounce of wheelhop... good luck

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
novadave1973 said:
I was reading some old posts looking for some ideas for my 86 regal and ran onto this post...not sure if this will help or not, but my buddy has a 98 gmc Sonoma..4 cyl 5 speed. he has done some work to the truck lowed, rear disc, gears, underdrive pulleys and cold air intake.. the truck is by no means a power house but it is fun to drive...anyway..we have had many issues with the wheel hop and being true gear heads we never let off until it goes or brakes...and it has broke many times..the cure for this truck was taken from the s10 extreme chassis.. they use a 3rd shock much like a steering dampner you would find on the fron of many 4wd trucks...it is bolted to a bracket on the rear and again to the frame on the passenger side of the truck....it works...we installed this set up on his Sonoma and we can pop the clutch at 5k rpms and all she does is spin... nnot one ounce of wheelhop... good luck
I have had bad wheel hop since I swapped in the 87 GN rear end. You may be on to something there NovaDave, maybe adding a shock somewhere on the rear would work. I was going to do process of elimination like MAlibu80 did, but would have been in the same boat as him, with the same problem still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor