Wheel offset and rear end info

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
That looks great! That’s what I was thinking is the rear end had to be narrowed. And then custom offset wheels. Currently I have a complete 9 inch as well as a shortened 9 inch. Which the issue with the shortened 9 inch is it’s 48 inches housing to housing if I recall. So if I used that I would have to move both the lower control mounts and the shock mounts on the frame. Due to the fact that it’s too narrow to mount the mounts on the rear end in the original g body location.

going that route seems like way too much work. So I’m thinking I’ll order one from quick performance. And later down the road I’ll get the courage to modify my own.
Definitely better to see if QP can do a G-body housing in a ~54" width w/the mounts in stock locations (or if they have a max dimension that allows for a deeper lip on the wheel but plays nice w/the factory suspension points). Keep in mind brake set-up dimensions might vary between discs or drums so you'll need to account for those dimensions as well.

My advice is find some wheels w/the dimensions you need/want. Mock them up under the car so you can measure the exact dimension between each. Once you know that, a call to QP w/that info should allow them to get you a set-up brake-hub to brake-hub w/pricing.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
WOW!!! THATS PERFECT !! What you got for diameter? and the front too if you dont mind. and how is the car lowered ? please and thank you
18x8 w/5.25"bs fronts. 245/40-18 tire. Stock brakes. 2" drop spindles. In that pic the coils were pulled @ the time for clearance checks but it had 1" drop/644# springs. Would not clear front wheel tubs or a/c evap case as it sat in the pics. The point was to validate clearances w/the suspension compressed.

20x10 w/6.0"bs rears. 295/40-20 tire. Stock brakes/7.5" housing. Notched frame to seam. Cut coils. Relocated lower shock mounts.

My current car was set-up similarly as far as the suspension but w/15" wheels (to clear the front inner tubs, a/c evap case, & not notch the frame). It still wore through the front tubs.

Attachments

• IMG_2780 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2780 - Copy.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
You can fit 9.5" wide wheels up front with 275's with very little trouble. Mainly just tall upper balljoints

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
You can fit 9.5" wide wheels up front with 275's with very little trouble. Mainly just tall upper balljoints
Depending on your vehicles ride height. Some cars are mildly lowered. Others are aggressively lowered.

Based on his initial questions, I'm pretty sure the OP was wanting big wheels in the back w/a large lip & not going for a pro-touring/spirited drivers build requiring equally wide wheels up front.

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Depending on your vehicles ride height. Some cars are mildly lowered. Others are aggressively lowered.

Based on his initial questions, I'm pretty sure the OP was wanting big wheels in the back w/a large lip & not going for a pro-touring/spirited drivers build requiring equally wide wheels up front.
Mine is 25.5" to the wheel lip in the center. Can't go much lower, maybe .5" but even over bumps during compression, mine doesn't rub.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Mine is 25.5" to the wheel lip in the center. Can't go much lower, maybe .5" but even over bumps during compression, mine doesn't rub.
We've discussed this. You can go lower.

The blue Malibu in the posted pic is <23" @ C/L of the bottom front wheel lip w/a 25" tall tire (6" wheel). The rear was @ ~24" w/a ~27" tire (8" wheel). >6k miles over 2yrs.

The contact issues were:
* Burned through the plastic @ the tops of the fender well/tubs (made contact during harsh compression situations)
* It would bottom out on uneven asphalt patch jobs on the roads & required driving finesse
* Occasional buzzing when pulling into steep/angled driveways @ a funky angle

That being said.... The next phase will slightly raise the car. It's currently less than 3" off the road surface @ the center of the front cradle. I'm going w/a different spindle & larger diameter wheels w/a slightly taller front tire @ <26" tall to raise it up min 1" (my goal is ~4" @ the center of the cradle). The goal is more clearance @ the cradle, bigger brakes, & fixing the g-body front geometry.

Last edited:

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
We've discussed this. You can go lower.

The blue Malibu in the posted pic is <23" @ C/L of the bottom front wheel lip w/a 25" tall tire (6" wheel). The rear was @ ~24" w/a ~27" tire (8" wheel). >6k miles over 2yrs.

The contact issues were:
* Burned through the plastic @ the tops of the fender well/tubs (made contact during harsh compression situations)
* It would bottom out on uneven asphalt patch jobs on the roads & required driving finesse
* Occasional buzzing when pulling into steep/angled driveways @ a funky angle

That being said.... The next phase will slightly raise the car. It's currently less than 3" off the road surface @ the center of the front cradle. I'm going w/a different spindle & larger diameter wheels w/a slightly taller front tire @ <26" tall to raise it up min 1" (my goal is ~4" @ the center of the cradle). The goal is more clearance @ the cradle, bigger brakes, & fixing the g-body front geometry.
Yes you're right, we have. But I'm talking about without any rubbing at all, ever.

Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Yes you're right, we have. But I'm talking about without any rubbing at all, ever.
Thus the difference between a very mild lowering (1") & aggressive lowering (3" or more). It takes a bit more work to do the aggressive option & not have the issues (sometimes it can still happen). Since I'm in the aggressive category, it's all part of the game & I live w/it.

Room for both options in the hobby :cool:

Streetbu

Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Mine is NOT 1" from factory. More like 3" they sat pretty high originally.

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
I’m working on getting my rear end ready to go but before I get too far I have a question. I found this car online and love the stance and the way the rear wheels are deep and the front are not. My question is what do you think was done to the rear end to achieve this? Rear is 24x15 which I don’t need 15 inch wide wheels but I would like 10 inch wide. And I would also love to have the deep dish wheel in the back. View attachment 182006
A01C7B9D-CDC3-42EC-B8BC-F67A9C4686F1.jpeg

Not sure what they used in your picture but here is my 87 Elco and sizes info: frame notch, Ford 9” (stock width), QA1 coil overs, billet specialties 19x10.5 with 305-35-19 Michelin pilot sports and custom 5.6” backset. The front is coil overs, 2” drop spindles and 18x8 billet specialties with 4.75 backset and 265-45-18 pilot sports. I went this route so I could put matching “good” tires on it I could easily replace on the road if needed. The coil overs give me significant ability to set the stance the way I want it. We have since dropped the front 1.5” and the rear 1” since this pic was taken. I hope this helps you decide

Attachments

• DBCF8EB3-AE4C-4AE0-A417-680D9D310607.jpeg
    DBCF8EB3-AE4C-4AE0-A417-680D9D310607.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 122
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor