EL CAMINO Where do you guys put Dynamat on your doors? inside of panel? Inside of actual door? Some other place?

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
Hey guys I have some extra dynamat and just trying to figure out placement before putting everything back together.

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
it's easier to put it on the shell(the part that everything attaches to) vs the inside of the door skin.it's more effective on the skin but it's a huge a pain to apply and the inside of the skin is usually dirty and doesn't go very well unless the skin/door is fresh. whatever you decide make sure you still run some kinda vapor barrier between the door shell and the door panel.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
While it is difficult to apply dynamat to the inside of the door skin, it is doable. The dynamat does not have to be one piece nor in contact with each other. No matter how much is applied, the net result will be dampening of sound and vibration. The shutting of your door will NOT sound like hitting an empty oil drum. Applying dynamat to the surface of the inner door shell/structure will further increase the noise reduction within the cab.

Reactions: 2 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I did all of the door panel and then put some inside to help like was mentioned above when I did mine

Reactions: 1 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
Don't use it at all as the additional weight is detrimental on the performance of the car. I try to save weight wherever I can. If you do the doors at all, just one piece on the inside of the outer sheetmetal is all that's necessary. Wholesale applications to the entire interior plus trunk like I've seen can add a bunch of total weight to the car. People overuse dynamat like crazy. it's useless in a trunk too.
It's for sound deadening and it takes very little to accomplish that. Use it only when it's known that a panel needs it and use it sparingly. Floors don't hardly need any if at all. Underside of the roof can help but wholesale application isn't necessary. Just a few pieces will do it.

Reactions: 1 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
Don't use it at all as the additional weight is detrimental on the performance of the car. I try to save weight wherever I can. If you do the doors at all, just one piece on the inside of the outer sheetmetal is all that's necessary. Wholesale applications to the entire interior plus trunk like I've seen can add a bunch of total weight to the car. People overuse dynamat like crazy. it's useless in a trunk too.
It's for sound deadening and it takes very little to accomplish that. Use it only when it's known that a panel needs it and use it sparingly. Floors don't hardly need any if at all. Underside of the roof can help but wholesale application isn't necessary. Just a few pieces will do it.
If You Aint First Youre Last Will Ferrell GIF by StickerGiant

HK_Camino

Apprentice
May 25, 2021
Houston
This is actually what I ended up doing. I bought a heavy carpet with mass backing and insulation, so I didn't care to over do it. I did put on sheet of dynamat inside of each outer door shell, as close to the hinges as possible to avoid adding stress to the hinges. I'd say I ended up using about 50 sq ft of dynamat.

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I covered my entire floor before putting in the new carpet with jute backing. I'll put some more on the door skins the next time I pull my panels off. I don't care about a few extra pounds. I'm not trying to shave tenths off the quarter mile. My car is to drive and enjoy. It made quite a difference in exterior noise sound.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
I covered my entire floor before putting in the new carpet with jute backing. I'll put some more on the door skins the next time I pull my panels off. I don't care about a few extra pounds. I'm not trying to shave tenths off the quarter mile. My car is to drive and enjoy. It made quite a difference in exterior noise sound.
Dynamat is for sound deadening and the foil can act as a radiant barrier against heat. It doesn't take much Dynamat to deaden a panel. Beyond that, there are better and lighter materials for sound insulation which it sounds like you are after.

Reactions: 1 user

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Not to hijack the thread, but living in the northeast I do oil coating in the doors. Does the oil affect the Dynamat sticking after it’s applied to the clean surface?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor