where to buy metric bolts nouts and fasteners

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougfather

Master Mechanic
Jul 11, 2006
Altoona PA
I am working on my front suspension. I have totally disassembled everything, leaving just the bolts and nuts in their orginal places to keep me from losing my mind.

Anyway, I want to replace some of my suspension bolts/nuts. Where can I find the "correct" hardened metric fasteners? I can go anywhere to get SAE sizes, but not metric. Are there any good places to go to find these?

Lowes carries alot of that stuff. But a national company called "Fastenal" should be in a city near you... If they dont have it it doesnt exist!!

In my experience, Lowes and other big-box chains usually only carry the "tinfoil-grade" fasteners. Even if they do carry what you want, the bins will be empty.

Grainger and McMaster Carr are good sources. Motorcycle dealer parts counters usually have a selection. Also, since many brand-name farm tractors are now made in Japan, try a larger tractor dealer's parts counter.

It is a constant source of amazement and frustration for me that most auto parts stores have not yet figured out the pretty much every car sold in the last twenty years has been held together with metric fasteners. Just try to find a metric tap or helicoil kit...

Come to Canada 😀

joe_padavano said:
It is a constant source of amazement and frustration for me that most auto parts stores have not yet figured out the pretty much every car sold in the last twenty years has been held together with metric fasteners...

I am in amazement that the US as a country hasn't adopted the metric system yet. While I grew up on the metric system, I admit for certain things I even don't use it (temperature, small measurements etc.). It sure does make math a ton easier! C'mon guys, everybody's doing it :wink:

I don't know what happened to the auto makers initiative to go metric.
Our Gbodies got some metric in the 70s and more in the 80s. There's more to going metric than calling the engine a 4.9 liter.

Thanks to all.

As for metric:

-yes, it's easier to use

-The automotive industry has by now gone metric for the simple fact of global procurement (everyone else uses metric). They want to be able to buy parts from anywhere in the world (Denso alternators, Sanden compressors, switches from whoever in China, Seimens fan motors, etc). Look under the hood, my dad's Toyota Camry and my mom's Chrysler Concorde use Denso and Sanden components.

-The metric and SAE mix was common in the 80s (yes, it's a PITA). Remember that going from SAE to metric requires tooling changes (read: $$$). GM seemed to use metric at the body and chasis, but had SAE on the engine blocks (at least those used in G-bodies).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor