Where to drill hole in transmission tunnel to put in floor shift.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty0015

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2022
Calgary Ab
Hello,

I'm hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction. I am looking for the specs on where the factory hole in the trans tunnel gets drilled for the shift cable to go through. Im changing the car from column to floor/console shift. I didn't see any dimples. Thanks

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
When I put the B&M floor shift in my Malibu wagon, I put my seat where it was comfortable for me when I drove the car, then placed the shifter where it was comfortable to shift and used a straight piece of rod and put it where the shift cable leaves the shifter and hits the floor board. That's where the hole needs to be drilled. I had to oblong the hole to have clearance for the cable to go through without hitting anything then covered the hole with some sound deadening to seal the hole.
Hope this helps.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Hello,

I'm hoping someone on here might be able to point me in the right direction. I am looking for the specs on where the factory hole in the trans tunnel gets drilled for the shift cable to go through. Im changing the car from column to floor/console shift. I didn't see any dimples. Thanks
If you’re using a factory shifter I would get dimensions from a factory floor shift car. Somebody on this forum is bound to have the info for you. Measure twice cut once.

Last edited:

Local Hero

G-Body Guru
Nov 24, 2016
Northcoast, Cleveland, Ohio
Agree with the above. Factory set-up should use the factory dimensions. But if it's an aftermarket cable set up, it can really be placed almost anywhere since the cable is flexible. Place the shifter where it fits best and is comfortable to reach from the driver's seat. I have aftermarket cable shifters in two cars.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021

Rusty0015

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2022
Calgary Ab
If you’re using a factory shifter I would get dimensions from a factory floor shift car. Somebody on this forum is bound to have the info for you. Measure twice cut once.
Hi. I am using an aftermarket conversion kit designed to used with the oem shifter in the oem spot. I found the dimensions on where the factory plate is welded to the floor.

Thanks for the info
Agree with the above. Factory set-up should use the factory dimensions. But if it's an aftermarket cable set up, it can really be placed almost anywhere since the cable is flexible. Place the shifter where it fits best and is comfortable to reach from the driver's seat. I have aftermarket cable shifters in two cars.

When I put the B&M floor shift in my Malibu wagon, I put my seat where it was comfortable for me when I drove the car, then placed the shifter where it was comfortable to shift and used a straight piece of rod and put it where the shift cable leaves the shifter and hits the floor board. That's where the hole needs to be drilled. I had to oblong the hole to have clearance for the cable to go through without hitting anything then covered the hole with some sound deadening to seal the hole.
Hope this helps.

Rusty0015

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2022
Calgary Ab
I'm hoping someone can give me the distance from the hole in the factory metal strap that goes across the floor to where the hole needs to be drilled for the shifter cable to go thru the floor. The pic is looking into the car from the passenger side. I welded the plate for the shifter to attach to as per dimensions I found on a gbody website.

Attachments

• 72ADDCF2-1FFD-497E-80C3-5E11AFA48E55.jpeg
    72ADDCF2-1FFD-497E-80C3-5E11AFA48E55.jpeg
    442.2 KB · Views: 134

JerRol79ElCam

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2018
Hope this helps.
I did the same with my El Camino.

Rusty0015

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2022
Calgary Ab
I did the same with my El Camino.
Hey. Thank you for replying and the info. Most appreciated. I had a look at a 1980 Malibu last night that had a factory floor shift. Pic attached. I was able to get some good measurements. One thing that surprised was how far away the hole was from the baseplate the shifter is mounted on. Do you or anyone else on here know if it is the same template for all g bodies?

Attachments

• EB0A7FD2-B1AD-4C09-AD56-E6FC1BF38F80.jpeg
    EB0A7FD2-B1AD-4C09-AD56-E6FC1BF38F80.jpeg
    880.8 KB · Views: 116

Rusty0015

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 22, 2022
Calgary Ab
As it turns out I believe I did find a factory dimple for where to drill the hole for.a factory floor shift. First time around I just looked for what I. thought would be something reasonably obvious in terms of a factory dimple. See attached pic. Based on measurements I took from from a factory 1980 Malibu transmission tunnel and the info I got off Dixie Restoration where eI found the dimple it seems to match pretty close. Thanks to all who replied.

Attachments

• 1ECD7E13-7D05-4997-9A6C-EA8DB6791C1F.jpeg
    1ECD7E13-7D05-4997-9A6C-EA8DB6791C1F.jpeg
    594.8 KB · Views: 99
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor