Where to weld back frame brace

Status
Not open for further replies.
The simplest upgrade is to triangulate the upper and lower rear control arm bolts - Hotchkis and others make connecting bars and longer bolt kits. I've seen Forum members reinforce the frames out back with other stiffener kits. Check out UMI. I have the Hotchkis kit from about 20 years ago.

I went a different route and used a piece of an old Jeep roll cage I had laying around. Just basic carbon steel. I welded it from directly behind the shock mount crossmember across straight. I had to replace the driver's side rear frame rail so this brace ended up right on the weld line for the new frame rail. Fits perfect but I don't have a factory fuel tank so I couldn't tell you how it would fit. I also welded in lower control arm support brackets from JT Racecraft and I have the bolt in adjustable lower+upper control arm braces from UMI. All that plus tubular control arms, thick F body rear sway bar, and solid body mounts the car feels very tight. You can kind of see the brace in this pic....
20150402_025650.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
I took a simple approach and used an old bed frame and bolted it on;

I also have a Hotchkis rear control arm brace which I feel is a necessary addition for a high HP G Body.
The crossmember above the rearend developed a crack in it after years of abuse so my buddy & I drilled a small hole at each end of the crack and welded it up then installed the new brace and its been good ever since.
Guy

Thanks for that pic, Guy. That's what I was hoping to see. So with the frame rail, you used one of the bolt holes for the rear bumper, I think? Great info fellas, exactly what I'll do. Jt race craft brace, hotchkis as well. I have hotchkis on my chevelle, works fine..

That is correct I did use the bolt holes for the bumper.
I didn't see the need for a real heavy piece of metal as all you are doing is tying the frame ends together.
Guy

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking about doing some type of brace for my Malibu this winter when I redo the rear bumper brackets. I was going to take a wide piece of steel,(or angle iron) and run it to either side of the frame, much like Guys, but wider, so I can get a couple more bolts through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor