Votes: 0 0.0%
  • VW New Beetle (1997+)

• Mazda Miata (Any)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only is the "new" Beetle gay, it's a total POS too. People (women) think they are getting a well made German car when it is in fact made in Mexico. Its quality has consistently ranked among the poorest of current production cars.

My wife's friend has a 1999 model that I'm constantly being asked to "look at" to evaluate its problems.
Quality German engineered features include a timing belt driven integral water pump with a plastic impeller that decintigrates, (Have you ever spent $800 to replace a water pump?) headlight bulbs that are not replaceable by any normal means, windows that constantly fall off their tracks, elecrtical items that work or don't work depending on Herbie's mood, and fluid leaks all over the place. Despite all this, the lady still absloutely loves the GD thing- she just misses it when it's off the road for weeks at a time to be repaired, usually at the dealer because local independent shops won't touch the thing with a 20 foot pole.

-UT-

they're not that bad, the bulbs are easy if you know the trick!

Sounds a little worse than the Mercedes Benz C32 AMG a friend of mine had ( 2003 I think...). That stupid car was in the shop more times in 80k miles than my Frontier has been in 277k! ( And I am not just abusive, I am downright mean to the poor old Nissan) Everything went wrong with it from the stereo, to the supercharger to the head gaskets to the intercooler it was all crap. He got to drive plenty of different cars as free loaners over the time he owned it as MB was always footing the bill for repairs. At least MB doesn't try to tell the owners it's not at fault with every single problem like I have read VW and Subaru do. I'll give the new beetle it's due in that it is cute to look at and has lots of head room. Plus, it's a hatchback which makes it practical. It's just too bad that so many newer VW's have turned out to be a POS for their owners. They do make nice looking cars with great interiors, fun engines and good chassis tuning.

As far as timing belt driven water pumps, this is not just a VW idea. The plastic impeller may be a VW exclusive, but Hondas also have this as well. And yeah, the Civic is a good car but only if you do ALL of the recommended maintenance which can be quite pricey. The Mitsubishi 4G63 does not have a timing belt drive for the water pump, but it might as well since the belt needs to come out to change the pump. I have done this a few times on a 1G DSM with a friend and it is the most awful automotive job I have ever had to tackle. This is why I prefer older Nissans when buying a 4 cylinder. Both the GA16DE (1991-99 Sentra) and KA24DE (240SX, Frontier, Altima, X Terra, etc) have chains with automatic tensioners that rarely require service, not every 80k miles ( about 18-20 months for me) like a belt.

The only saving grace of the Miata is that it is rear wheel drive, if it was not for that, there would be no more gay of a car. In light of the rear wheel drive Miata, I voted for they WAY too gay Beetle (not just the new one, but any of the old ones too). NOTHING redeaming here. 100% daddy's little college girl's car, and not the type of girl I would give a second look to either. My wife drives a '94 Firebird TA, now that is a woman!

just an FYI, be careful with the late model Probe Gts guys, I'm not a fan by any means, but there is a lot of stuff available for the high end performance guys for these cars. They get fast, and you will think that what you hear is little more than just an exhaust.

Oh yeah.... the prius is pretty un-manly as well!

Here's a Miata that might be acceptable:

http://www.monstermiata.com/

By the way, you forgot to add the Golf/Rabbit convertibles. About 85% of those are registered to women. And nothing screams "secretary's car" like a V6 Camaro.

I could build that thing so cheaply it isn't even funny. Probably do-able for under $5k with the right drivetrain donor car and a good but dead Miata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor