which engine transmission combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not as easy an install as a Small Block. Accessories will require different brackets ( IIRC), may have to change front springs ( weight), HVAC box may need some massaging. Trans and rear will be OK with the power, as long as you don't use slicks. May need upgraded trans and rear if wanting to "use" all that torque 🙂 Don't forget the frequent gas stops, either!

I think I just wet myself a little! I got the 454! its a 1991 gen V. block #10114182 and head #10114156. I got a receipt from a machine shop, who has been in business for 30 plus years, who rebuilt the engine and the heads. In addition, I got an billet tech accel distributor, accel Super stock wires, accel Super coil, accel electric fuel pump and AC delco plugs ALL IN THE BOX!. An extra set of GM valve covers and an extra GM oil pan. If that wasn't enough, I got a brand new set of Hedman Headders. I haven't felt this happy since my wife left!

Now what do I do?

Now you start spending money if you want the job done properly.

I don't want you think I'm trying to rain on your parade, but you should be aware that a 454 won't just bolt in and you're good to go without any trouble.
You will be tempted to use the gas pedal, of course you will, or why did you buy it?. A well built 350 or 400 or properly built 200r4 will be required, I doubt the transmission behind your tired 305 will last long with 454 torque, and a suitable rear end is another thing to look at.

Upgraded suspension to deal with the extra weight will be another necessity, and brakes as well. Don't forget the cooling system either, a bigger radiator will be another must.

But if you approach the job prepared to do what is necessary and spend what you need to do the job right, you will have an awesome machine indeed!.

Forewarned is forearmed, start looking for what you will need well before you start the job and you should find some good deals.
But a great job never comes cheap.

Good luck, keep us posted with pictures please.

Roger.

Thanks for the input Roger. I am retired and this is a dream I have had for a very long time (well it started with a 427 then a 396 and now a 454). As I stated earlier, I only want to do this once (engine/trans swap). If I don't do this now I may never do it. I have owned a '65 Cuda, '65 Mustang,'70 Nova,'76 Trans Am, a '77 and a '86 corvette (and so many other cars in between I cannot count them all) but nothing with a BB. So I will do what it takes to do this properly.

My friends consider me to be over optimistic but if I wasn't, I wouldn't start any projects i.e. It took 8 years, part time and at night to graduate from Indiana University. All while working full time in middle mgmt.

I will turn to you Roger, and others like you to help me through this. I am not afraid to ask. IMO, The only stupid question is the one not asked. Now before I get off my soapbox, I was looking today at maybe a 4/5/6 speed manual transmission. The very 1st car I bought ($100) was a 1960 Plymouth Valiant with "3 on the tree".Your opinion and anyone else's would be gratefully appreciated.

Life! What a ride it has been!

LeoCamino said:
I am not afraid to ask. IMO, The only stupid question is the one not asked.

If more thought like you the world might be none the wiser, but it would be better informed.

There are several threads on this forum dealing with putting bbc lumps in G Body chassis', and yet more concerning adapting a suitable manual transmission.
Of course I will help if I can, however my interests lie in Oldsmobile and buick 231 powered cars with automatic transmission. Big lazy engines and bells and whistles to help with the driving chores for me was what attracted me to American cars in the first place.

Roger.

Leo, if you are not already a member, might try looking over at ElCaminoCentral.com. Might get a lot more specific Elky advise on your swap. I know I we have several members currently doing the same swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor