Which Headers To Buy??

Status
Not open for further replies.

First442

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 20, 2013
I have an 85 442 and am currently restoring it. I have bought all parts to rebuild the engine, thumper cam, distributor, intake, new Edelbrock 4 bbl. I only need to complete the heads and exhaust to have the engine complete. I do not know which headers to get. I have read that only certain ones will fit correctly depending on what heads are installed. Any suggestions?

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
What kind of headers??? Full-length, shorties? I assume you still have the stock 307 Olds that came with it. Any header that is for a small block Olds and made to fit a gbody will work. Most of the time there are small clearance issues with the cheaper headers like the Flowtechs. Go on Summit Racing and get yourself a nice set of full length Hookers.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
First442 said:
..... thumper cam.....

Bleh! Get a real cam!

If you can afford them, American Racing headers for the win.

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010
If you are going to keep the car them x2 ARH.
Go to real olds power there are some nice pictures of a set that was bought for a Olds G body.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
G-Body_Vet said:
The ARH headers for a SBO g-body are $925-975. :shock:
http://www.americanracingheaders.com/OLDSMOBILE.html

They were $900 when I bought them and with my discount I got them for $700. Worth every penny even at full price. Too many people skimp out on buying quality headers. Drop thousands and thousands into an engine rebuild is perfectly fine for most, then they suddenly get cheap and buy a set of Flowcrap headers for a $100. That just seems off to me.

If you were to get a set of custom made stainless headers, it would cost you $2500+ MINIMUM. The AR headers are in effect a 'custom' set of headers at a MUCH cheaper price ( since they already did the legwork on the design ).

G-Body_Vet

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 15, 2010
DoubleV said:
G-Body_Vet said:
The ARH headers for a SBO g-body are $925-975. :shock:
http://www.americanracingheaders.com/OLDSMOBILE.html

They were $900 when I bought them and with my discount I got them for $700. Worth every penny even at full price. Too many people skimp out on buying quality headers. Drop thousands and thousands into an engine rebuild is perfectly fine for most, then they suddenly get cheap and buy a set of Flowcrap headers for a $100. That just seems off to me.

If you were to get a set of custom made stainless headers, it would cost you $2500+ MINIMUM. The AR headers are in effect a 'custom' set of headers at a MUCH cheaper price ( since they already did the legwork on the design ).

If you can afford it and that's what you want, then go for it. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't bring myself to surpass the $500-ish mark for a set on a street car. I agree that the Flowtechs are pretty much a waste of money too.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor