which heads for my 350

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtditty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 24, 2008
Jacksonville, NC
I have 350 short block bored .060 over and have a few choices for heads I have on hand. A set of 305 heads I am porting that would probly run tbi, a set of l98 vette heads with all the tpi setup and posibly a set of vortec heads I might be able to talk a friend out of that the tbi came with. What is my best bet to get the most out of the engine.

betcha618

Greasemonkey
Jul 24, 2007
sgtditty said:
I have 350 short block bored .060 over and have a few choices for heads I have on hand. A set of 305 heads I am porting that would probly run tbi, a set of l98 vette heads with all the tpi setup and posibly a set of vortec heads I might be able to talk a friend out of that the tbi came with. What is my best bet to get the most out of the engine.

throw the 305 heads in the garbage, they'll never flow on the top end enough. I'd say get the vortec heads pocket ported, get screw in studs and have the valve guides cut down to accept higher lift cam and you'll be good.

I'm not familiar with the L98 vette heads, i'm running the vortec setup i just described and for the money its your best bet. imo

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Nobody on this site has listened to me yet about head choices, but once again I'll lobby for DART Iron Eagles. For the money they outflow all other iron heads, even the once highly touted Vortecs. Sure, the Vortecs can be bought for $500/pr. but then you're buying a special intake that costs $300+, PLUS paying for more machine work to accept over a .470 lift cam. OK, now you're up to $800-900 for the setup.

Now take the DART Iron Eagles, $625/pr through Aeroheadracing.com & come with screw in studs, AND accept up to a .525 lift cam without mods, and you can use your current intake (assuming it's a pre-'86 block) or find a good used RPM intake for less than $100.

The L-98 "Vette" heads are $hit. They WERE the best Chevy head 15-20 yrs ago when they were introduced, but by todays standards... THEY SUCK!!

So, do the math & do some research on flow #'s and you decide.

82355supreme

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Better yet, I'll post the flow #'s.

DART Iron Eagle

.400 lift=219CFM Intake
.500 lift=225CFM Intake
.600 lift=224CFM Intake

.400 lift=171CFM Exhaust
.500 lift=185CFM Exhaust
.600 lift=183CFM Exhaust

GM Vortec

.400 lift=212CFM Intake
.500 lift=210CFM Intake
.600 lift=207CFM Intake

.400 lift=153CFM Exhaust
.500 lift=160CFM Exhaust
.600 lift=162CFM Exhaust

These #'s represent very typical street camshaft profile lift specs (.400-.600 lift)

Once again, do the math for "bang for the buck!!"

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
I love DART stuff when it comes to chevy engines and you are right on about the bang for the buck. I only run vortec heads when I get them used.

Dart became a powerful force in the 80's when GM pulled Buick from factory engine sponsored competition for V8 engines. In the early 80's, there were a few hybrid Buick/Chevy engines for Winston Cup and NHRA. They were 358 and 352 cubic inches. They used a chevy block with their own cam/heads/intake setup and really kicked butt! Buick sold all of their stuff to DART and the rest is history.

There is a similar history for Pontiac providing their stuff to allow Brodix to take off as a competitor when their corporate reigns were tightened as well. The only division (other than chevy, of course) that was kept in house was Oldsmobile. Their stuff became GM performance parts. They made the DRCE stuff and the rocket block that you can still get from Scoggin-Dickey and others today. It's the best chevy small block ever built by GM - and it has an Olds Rocket emblem cast into the side of the block!

Anyway, back on topic. Being a Buick guy, I vote DART!

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
If you're on a tight budget, the LG4/L69/TPI 305 heads are a popular choice over at thirdgen.org. Those guys punch 'em out with 1.94 intake valves and porting and get 400 hp engines with them!

Not the older 305 heads from the 70's, though, I believe they are number 081 or 416, but don't quote me on that. Just don't use the factory TBI heads, they are junk.

1981ElCamino

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2008
I am running the "416" casting 305 heads, with 58cc chambers. I was broke at the time and needed the motor together quickly, now I regret it. The motor has good low end torque but doesn't rev much past 5000 rpm. I've heard of people porting these as well and reaching 400hp. Has anyone tried the EBAY aluminum heads? (2.02/1.60 bare heads)

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
This is a loaded question with too many unanswered variables to give a precise response. The 305 heads are 100% worthless unless you are in love with poor performance. They make a great door stop, but are not good for anything else. The L98 aluminum heads would be better than the 305 heads, but are not that great in today's world. If the Vortec's are really cheap, go with them, but only if you have a small cam and can afford the special intake manifold they require. Otherwise, choose plan D : something else. I have no problems with the Iron Eagles, they are a good budget head. However, what head to choose also is dependent on what your intended application is, pure street? street/strip ( what percentage of each?), race? Also, what cam, static compression, intake manifold, gearing and exhaust do you plan on running once you complete your vehicle's total combination? .060 over 350 does not mean a whole lot except that it is slightly larger than 350 ci (358?).

I am not a huge proponent of the Vortec's since they do require a bigger initial investment as compared to other options. They require special intakes, rockers, machine work for anything other than a stock replacement cam, etc. If they are near free, they are worth the effort. If not, you can get the standard stuff cheaply enough on the used market (manifold, etc.) that it allows you to have more power for similar money. If you could find a set of the old World Products S/R Torquers (basically a copy of the old "camel hump" heads from the 60's and 70's) used at a good price ( they have been made for 12+ years), they would also make a good basic street head for a 350. Not the best, but good enough to work well. (I have no complaints about mine, and I got them in 1996.) The Patriot heads for $800 from Summit look like a good deal too, but it is an unproven company that may or may not make a long lasting product.

betcha618

Greasemonkey
Jul 24, 2007
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
The Patriot heads for $800 from Summit look like a good deal too, but it is an unproven company that may or may not make a long lasting product.

IN ORDER TO SAY THAT YOU'D REALLY HAVE TO RESEARCH WHO MAKES THE HEADS for Summit. They don't make much of thier own stuff, just put thier name on products. I bought a summit cam with lifters for $89.00 once and when I got the cam it had CRANE stamped into the bottom of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor