who makes summit cams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
i am finishing up a build on a 350 4 bolt main bored 30 over my brother in-law started. he passed away and didn't get it finished. i bought from his wife the engine along with a new in the box Edelbrock Endurashine 27014 intake and a 1406 Edelbrock carb he had for the engine, i may sell the intake and carb. he had installed a new summit 1102 cam. i wanted a little more so i put in a sum-1103, my question is, who makes their cams? i heard at one time crane did, but now i have heard comp cams do, is this true? does anybody know for sure?

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
I can't help with an actual name, but I will tell you that regardless of what any company's marketing hype may say... none of the cam companies actually make their own cams unless mabey if you ordered a custom grind. There is only 2 or 3 companies in the entire country that actually make cams. That's right that comp high energy or magnum cam that you can buy off the shelf wasn't made by comp. Sure it may be ground to their specs but they didn't have any part in actually making it. I realize your asking about Summit cams but the same still applies.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
ED Iskenderian aka the owner of Isky Cams is probably one of the few that still does machine cams on site. if still alive he would be around a 100 years old! I have one of his 256H versions resident in my Non Gbody-G-body and it has been bumping the valves since the middle 80's. It's brother is sitting on my Indian Bench #2 and it, along with lifters and tappets and associated other bits will be going into the 305 currently in my Monte-Carlo once I get the motor wiring sorted out and it running again. That cam is one of the reasons that I go out of my way to make sure the oil in the pan has ZDDP in it.

Nick

Reactions: 1 users

olskool

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2021
I can't help with an actual name, but I will tell you that regardless of what any company's marketing hype may say... none of the cam companies actually make their own cams unless mabey if you ordered a custom grind. There is only 2 or 3 companies in the entire country that actually make cams. That's right that comp high energy or magnum cam that you can buy off the shelf wasn't made by comp. Sure it may be ground to their specs but they didn't have any part in actually making it. I realize your asking about Summit cams but the same still applies.

i can believe that i am a retired professional transmission rebuilder and was a shop owner. back in the 90s in Charleston SC, i had a transmission shop that was next to a VW repair shop an old man owned, he was the best VW mechanic in the country. he was also friends with race driver Bill Elliot. anyway, he had connections with people everywhere, he said he had a friend that was over a large hand tool manufacturing company and there were only 2 tool manufactories in the USA. they made all the tools for all the big names like Snap-On and the small tool names as well, at that time. and if that is so then it really doesn't matter what name brand cam you use,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:

JD1964

Master Mechanic
Dec 31, 2014
ED Iskenderian aka the owner of Isky Cams is probably one of the few that still does machine cams on site. if still alive he would be around a 100 years old!

Nick

Back in the 80’s when I first started modifying engines for more power I had a Journeyman mechanic tell me about Isky. I bought a Isky catalog and man that thing was thick. It was loaded with info about how cams work and how they’re made. I read the book cover to cover more than once. It was my first real education into the realm.

Reactions: 3 users

RabbitHoleSS

G-Body Guru
Dec 8, 2019
Indianapolis
From my research they all come from 2 companies. Engine power components and camshaft machine Corp. Both in Michigan.

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Elgin and Mahle make a good amount of the domestic cams and engine componentry. I know for roller cams they do a lot but as far as flat tappet stuff not sure.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor