Who needs a new 442/ H/O project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The last one looks as if it requires no "labor" other than from your check writing hand... Their asking price is pretty steep, but as they say "they aren't making these any more..."

https://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/d/84-hurst-olds-worginal-for/6691088753.html

"1984 Hurst/Oldsmobile W-40 With (27,500 ORIGINAL MILES) Backed By Carfax
Everything is in Excellent Shape
Interior in in Excellent Condition
Two Year Old Custom Paint Job Base/Clear coat with Four Coats of Clear
Runs and Handles GREAT!!!!
MANY NEW PARTS!!!!
READY TO DRIVE ANYWHERE!!!!
this car is valued by nada for 29000.00 . i have also seen three such low milage one on barret jackson go for between 28k and 30k
$23,000 or best resonable offer will consider trades down or up with cash.for another classic car chevelle, camaro, nova, hot rod, muscle car, classic cars"

• Gil call or text: ☎ (757) 650-4228
LOW MILES- MANY NEW PARTS should not be two terms that should be in the same ad, IMO. Where's the part where it says MANY ORIGINAL PARTS MISSING?

I know it's not usually a nice thing to do when critiquing people's cars they have for sale, but this one smells fishy as far as 27K miles. There's just something that says it has way too much work done on it to have 27K miles. Here's my "complaints" I would surely have if I were going to seriously consider paying a premium price for THIS ragtag bag of parts:

Noted right away - where's the friggin' front air dam and why is the exhaust different?

The interesting thing I find on this one is the reproduction seat covers on the buckets (along with the repainted belt guide(s) at least on the driver side. You can see the blue showing), the repro carpet which they didn't even bother to tuck under the seat belt outside the driver's side bucket (original carpet has an elongated heel pad), the dash cover, the repro woodgrain console ash tray and shifter covers and non-original radio and non-original light switch. It appears they bought the seat covers out there that's being hawked as "closest match" or something. You can tell from the pictures with them installed that the color isn't all that great of a match when it's some of the newest material in the car. Not terrible, but still. I think if they would have got the entire interior and door panels it might blend a bit better. With only 27,500 miles, what's the deal with the gold intake, and missing hose strap and incorrect oil cap/dipstick (may be GM part # correct as later the stupid dipstick came with a yellow T-handle under the same part number) and radiator cap? Hmmm. Appears all of the A/C system components have been replaced with a non-GM accumulator and compressor. Not sure about the A/C hoses, but they have been replaced for sure. Could be from a 134A changeover? I dunno. The battery hold down, emissions decal along with the EGR and AIR system is gone, too. Incorrect carb and fuel supply line. I don't see any cruise on the car, but the stalk doesn't have cruise on it either. But it does have the light package and appears to have the convenience group items like tilt wheel, power windows and rear defog, so it amazes me there's no cruise, power door locks or power seat on the car. It doesn't have power seat either it appears, which was part of the grouping they did when ordering cars, so this very well may be just the way it is. Cruise wasn't automatically ordered if someone did a la carte ordering. If the dealer did group ordering, it wouldn't have the lighting group if it didn't have cruise, so I think someone may have special ordered this car. Also, either the driver's side dash is very faded or there was some silver overspray. Something doesn't seem quite right. The steering wheel? The 5 spoke aftermarket wheels? WTF? I do get why you may want to paint the car after 34 years because of the cruddy GM paint back then, especially the silver, but I would expect someone not driving it would have it in a garage and the paint shouldn't be that crappy to need a new paint job. Oh, and it has those shitty repro door seals that pull away at the top rear of the door because they're just not made right.

Looking back at the underhood because of the non-CCC carb, I also noticed the ECM coolant temp probe is gone and blocked off on the intake as well as no EGR system at all. Can't forget the missing air cleaner and there's a vacuum hose by the kinked fuel line (what's left of it) that goes nowhere. I don't think this bad boy has an ECM in it any longer. Just too much room under that hood now. Oh, the antenna just ain't right.

I think there's more miles on this car than it shows, or it's been beat on more than let on to be. If he's going to ask BJ prices, he should also prove that the dash is good by taking pictures without the stupid dash cover and come up with all the rest of the missing parts. There's WAY too much incorrectness on this car to support the 27,500 mile claim, or someone that owned the car didn't give a crap about originality, which, obviously should affect the asking price greatly.

Some dumbass will come along and buy it. Not that it can't be fixed, but that's more like a $10K -13K or so car the way it sits at best. JMO

Reactions: 1 user

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
https://rockford.craigslist.org/cto/d/1983-hurst-olds-15th/6733884514.html
"Car does not run and drive.recent barn find.it needs restoration but u don't find these everyday.i will accept a fair offer.call for details "
call or text:

☎ (815) 297-7536

This 83 WAS a nice car when new. It also has the desirable sand grey interior.....In current condition though I wouldn't pay more than $750 for that car.
That thing is roached and unfortunately will probably become a parts car.

1540827296553.png

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That's what I find most depressing. Most of these cars should be $1000, TOPS. Throw "barn find", "rare", or "not being made anymore" in any ad, and the price triples. Most are pretty clapped out with (likely) rusty frames. I suppose some "professional" type will pay it and dump money into a car that ends up worth what you paid for the carcass to start.

Steveshow

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 13, 2015
LOW MILES- MANY NEW PARTS should not be two terms that should be in the same ad, IMO. Where's the part where it says MANY ORIGINAL PARTS MISSING?

I know it's not usually a nice thing to do when critiquing people's cars they have for sale, but this one smells fishy as far as 27K miles. There's just something that says it has way too much work done on it to have 27K miles. Here's my "complaints" I would surely have if I were going to seriously consider paying a premium price for THIS ragtag bag of parts:

Noted right away - where's the friggin' front air dam and why is the exhaust different?

The interesting thing I find on this one is the reproduction seat covers on the buckets (along with the repainted belt guide(s) at least on the driver side. You can see the blue showing), the repro carpet which they didn't even bother to tuck under the seat belt outside the driver's side bucket (original carpet has an elongated heel pad), the dash cover, the repro woodgrain console ash tray and shifter covers and non-original radio and non-original light switch. It appears they bought the seat covers out there that's being hawked as "closest match" or something. You can tell from the pictures with them installed that the color isn't all that great of a match when it's some of the newest material in the car. Not terrible, but still. I think if they would have got the entire interior and door panels it might blend a bit better. With only 27,500 miles, what's the deal with the gold intake, and missing hose strap and incorrect oil cap/dipstick (may be GM part # correct as later the stupid dipstick came with a yellow T-handle under the same part number) and radiator cap? Hmmm. Appears all of the A/C system components have been replaced with a non-GM accumulator and compressor. Not sure about the A/C hoses, but they have been replaced for sure. Could be from a 134A changeover? I dunno. The battery hold down, emissions decal along with the EGR and AIR system is gone, too. Incorrect carb and fuel supply line. I don't see any cruise on the car, but the stalk doesn't have cruise on it either. But it does have the light package and appears to have the convenience group items like tilt wheel, power windows and rear defog, so it amazes me there's no cruise, power door locks or power seat on the car. It doesn't have power seat either it appears, which was part of the grouping they did when ordering cars, so this very well may be just the way it is. Cruise wasn't automatically ordered if someone did a la carte ordering. If the dealer did group ordering, it wouldn't have the lighting group if it didn't have cruise, so I think someone may have special ordered this car. Also, either the driver's side dash is very faded or there was some silver overspray. Something doesn't seem quite right. The steering wheel? The 5 spoke aftermarket wheels? WTF? I do get why you may want to paint the car after 34 years because of the cruddy GM paint back then, especially the silver, but I would expect someone not driving it would have it in a garage and the paint shouldn't be that crappy to need a new paint job. Oh, and it has those shitty repro door seals that pull away at the top rear of the door because they're just not made right.

Looking back at the underhood because of the non-CCC carb, I also noticed the ECM coolant temp probe is gone and blocked off on the intake as well as no EGR system at all. Can't forget the missing air cleaner and there's a vacuum hose by the kinked fuel line (what's left of it) that goes nowhere. I don't think this bad boy has an ECM in it any longer. Just too much room under that hood now. Oh, the antenna just ain't right.

I think there's more miles on this car than it shows, or it's been beat on more than let on to be. If he's going to ask BJ prices, he should also prove that the dash is good by taking pictures without the stupid dash cover and come up with all the rest of the missing parts. There's WAY too much incorrectness on this car to support the 27,500 mile claim, or someone that owned the car didn't give a crap about originality, which, obviously should affect the asking price greatly.

Some dumbass will come along and buy it. Not that it can't be fixed, but that's more like a $10K -13K or so car the way it sits at best. JMO

I need you with me if I ever try and buy one of these!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor