Why do people flock to Cities?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
43 years split between the Greater Toronto Area (from Kitchener to the Beaches, Front Street to Downsview) and Ottawa (East to West and Gatineau).

I am done with this nonsense. Cities are echo chambers of mass hysteria and mass psychosis - a feedback loop of immense proportions. They have become unstable and unsustainable.

Excessive population density makes for excessively dense populations.
You're a goof (and always make me smile). Population issues in Ontario smh - but I feel your pain lol.
This ^^^^ !!!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
You're a goof (and always make me smile). Population issues in Ontario smh - but I feel your pain lol

Graham Mctavish Reaction GIF by Men in Kilts: A Roadtrip with Sam and Graham

Not sure if I am supposed not be insulted or flattered?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The older I get, the less I want to be around people that I don’t know.

I’m not sure if it’s a sign of me getting old, or becoming a bigger *******……..probably both…and proud of it.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Some of us are just anti social, my Wife and I both. We went on one social outing last year with friends, we are probably good beside, family, until we die, seriously. We get way more than enough outside stimulation through work. I went out to pick up some things one day, the number of people who got in my face and just interacting with me, I was ready to punch, the next A hole who gets close. Honestly, this Pandemic has not bothered me in a lot of ways. Less human interaction, bring it on. The strain on my Wife and the brutal hours we worked when fuel prices tanked, a different story. The no social situations allowed is great, bring on permanent social lockdowns.

• Agree

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Well I just visited the Mojave Air and Space Port and can attest that there are definitely well paying jobs outside of the big city. That said, I'm not dying to live in the middle of the Mojave Desert, so there's that. If you're into aerospace, there are other options in the desert, but it's the desert.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Unfortunately, nearly everything is tied to farming here, including jobs. Spring and Fall suck, long hours to serve them. Cattle guys actually work all year, no days off. It has been a shitty year for them. Grain guys get half the year to do **** all.

Ace Burt

Greasemonkey
Jul 23, 2017
Texas
Work and opportunity sent me from Lincoln NE to Dallas TX as a 20 year old trying to make my way in the world. 2 months ago I retired and completed the cycle and moved to a place that doesn’t even have a stop light or a mail carrier (population 1354). For me the big cities I lived in (Dallas, Austin) were the price I paid to live comfortably retired in a very small place.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
A lot of my family lived in "God's Country" of southwestern Pennsylvania. The biggest city in the area was Uniontown. The other side all lived around Pittsburgh itself. Beautiful farming countryside, rolling hills, lakes, streams, mountains not far away. They all worked in the coal and steel industry. Most got Black Lung. Some died young. All ended up laid off or pensioned off as Pittsbugh's steel industry died off. The coal formerly needed for steel was re-directed to power plants but even that dried up. But the red rust film that covered everything in Pittsburgh also went away. The sulpher runoff that polluted streams and rivers was cleaned up too. The air and water are cleaner, but now gas fracking is paying the bills. What damage will that cause? Time will tell. I spent all my Summers there. Lots of good times. I think it is still a great area to live in, but it is hard to earn a living there.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Well, I am in Saskatoon, it is OK at best. The OK is having every big box store, the rest is blah. The Hospital parking is packed a lot of days, I barely get second level parking. It costs $120 a month. The Challenger is a big car, the GPS, Blind Spot Sensors and AWD are life savers, only on Summer tires still, a story in itself, more in the Challenger thread. I find Saskatoon more confusing than Regina to drive in, Probably the North Saskatchewan River winding through the City. The underground heating parking is great, no build up of salt staying on the car. It does take some weaving getting into the spot, right next to a pillar. The $2200 a month sucks, hopefully Kinsmen covers it, they will the first month, already had that money allotted. Still waiting on a receipt, Kinsmen pay out twice a month. Everything has been a frustrating wait. Our furnace in Melville stopped working, yeah great timing. Sure glad the Girls are home and we have multiple electric heaters. Cities suck.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Being already mildly anti-social, having to stay away from humanity due to Covid was no big deal. If anything it got easier to move around because non essential residents stayed off the roads. My boss had asked me if I would stay in rotation at the official beginning of the Covid Cluster**** and i said, "Sure". Hey, steady money and no one looking over my shoulder. Most of the ones who had the option put in for retirement and ran. It was all a major case of super-stupid contradictions but the people in the system actually seemed happy, if a bit cautious, to see me. For them I was probably one of a very small group of people who whose presence meant the world hadn't ended, yet.

So now I am itchy-twitchy about people to the point where I almost will leave an aisle in a grocery store if someone else walks into it. I still visit my regular vendors and stores but the people in them that I know are about as twitchy and burnt out as I am. Did get to associate with a bunch of my chapter members at a banquet function and it felt good just to be with them for a brief while. Getting comfortable, well that took a little doing. That level of re-integration may never happen again.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor