Why doesn't my OEM torq cnvrtr fit snug? do i have a 200r4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my Cutlass back - the mechanic shaved a few millimeters off the nub on the torque converter that fits into the crankshaft. Apparently it wouldn't fit snug with the flexplate unless he did that. Everything seems fine when the car is cold, but after it warms up and I rev the engine in park, I can hear something spinning to a stop underneath the car near the transmission after I let off the gas. It's not very loud, and I can only hear it if I have the radio off. I can just barely hear it with the windows up, and I still have to pay close attention in order to hear it when the door is open and my head is hanging down near the ground. I assume it's the torque converter, but I pray that it's nothing to worry about. He gave me a 4-month, 4000 mile warranty so hopefully it'll get itself figured out by then.

FIXED IT - replaced the flex plate (paid a mechanic $900 for this and a new transmission filter and fluid. It still shook, just not as bad. Mechanic said "it's an old car, they do that somewhat." Then, on a whim I looked at the belts while the car was running - saw my Air Cond belt was partially torn...took the whole AC unit off and now the shake is gone! Occam's Razor, it's always something simple! But...one of my other belts is slipping now...and the idle speed is 70 rpm too high. Anyone know how to adjust the idle to compensate for having removed the A/C? The manual says it's computer-controlled and I should take it to the dealer...

jamesejam said:
FIXED IT - replaced the flex plate (paid a mechanic $900 for this and a new transmission filter and fluid. It still shook, just not as bad. Mechanic said "it's an old car, they do that somewhat." Then, on a whim I looked at the belts while the car was running - saw my Air Cond belt was partially torn...took the whole AC unit off and now the shake is gone! Occam's Razor, it's always something simple! But...one of my other belts is slipping now...and the idle speed is 70 rpm too high. Anyone know how to adjust the idle to compensate for having removed the A/C? The manual says it's computer-controlled and I should take it to the dealer...

Its going to squeal no matter what with out the a/c belt.

dan2286 said:
jamesejam said:

Its going to squeal no matter what with out the a/c belt.

x2 that, it's either squeel or smoke or break ... I've been contemplating a passenger side alternator

Oh it squeals like a stuck pig! I only took the unit off because I couldn't get the other belts off and figured I didn't need the A/C unit. Now I know better. I'm going to put the unit back on, but first I have to take off the alternator and power steering belts in order to get a belt onto the A/C unit. I was stuck on the power steering belt for 2 days before I realized the bolts are accessible through the holes on the pulley!

jamesejam said:
Oh it squeals like a stuck pig! I only took the unit off because I couldn't get the other belts off and figured I didn't need the A/C unit. Now I know better. I'm going to put the unit back on, but first I have to take off the alternator and power steering belts in order to get a belt onto the A/C unit. I was stuck on the power steering belt for 2 days before I realized the bolts are accessible through the holes on the pulley!

box end wrench is probably a better call but yes you can stick a socket through the holes .... after a few people slip that socket ... it starts getting a tad round ..... in reality I probably should have replaced my bolt last time I had it apart ... I think someone took an air ratchet to it

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor