Why the blacked out / censored plates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
I do sometimes. Yes my plates are there for all to see, but I share what is inside my vehicle and under my hood with forums, craigslist(If I'm selling something), youtube, etc, and there could be a thief or azzhole lurking. And with the tag number of the vehicle, he/she could be anywhere and see my car and no exactly what is in it. Or know that it is my screen name and have a problem with me(for whatever reason) and want to cause harm to my vehicle. Just a safety measure. You never know what could be going thru some of the minds of online people. Better safe than sorry.

ve3oky

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2012
Ontario Canada
online170 said:
You can call me paranoid, but id call myself careful and you naive.

X2

Think about it. Most people post there country and state on the forums, no issue right states HUGE. Well then they post a build thread showing how much they have invested in there car, shop and tools. Next you get photos of the car out side there house post them online ...... and lastly we want to show off our ride so we do a video leaving our house we take ya for a ride and a burn out ..... all you need to do is pass ONE marked street corner in that video ... and your now "I just post my state" becomes a very small area with google maps of where your located.

All I'm saying, is ya need to watch what ya put online, the internet is nothing more then a HUGE database of info.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Simple answer if you think about it.

If you see someone walking down the street what is the chance of them becoming famous from you just looking a them?

If you see someone walking down the street and take their picture and post it on some internet forums what is the chance of them becoming famous or "viral"?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I never really considered myself naive. My stuff isn't all that desirable but I still keep it secured and insured. I wouldn't think I'm any more vulnerable than, say, a hotrod shop that has a website. I obviously wouldn't publish my vacation schedule and then leave the doors unlocked, but I don't get too stressed about strangers seeing my license plate either. Really, in this day and age, there are no secrets.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
Ok some valid points. My other biggest reason is law enforcement.

Each year they come up with some new provincial regulation to ding us with that was previously a non issue or exemption. Without getting bent out of shape for what those are, technology is making info very accessible for anyone. Including law enforcement.

They have scanners for a few years now that are not getting approved in most places, but are in some, that scan your license plate and search against outstanding tickets or anything out of the ordinary. Police scan shopping mall lots, find a vehicle with issues and wait for the owner to return.

There are plenty of people demonstrating what their vehicles are capable of via pix or vid that would easily hold up in court. If i had such videos or pictures why would i share my tag info and make myself a target?

How about emissions? How many of us are running parts that are not 50 state legal or road legal? Like all holley double pumper carbs? Whats stopping someone from fining you against that?

So anyway, its probably too paranoid to think that way, but like i said, im careful. There are no secrets anymore but im not going to make finding my info any easier for anyone.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
This is turning into that "Your Car *WILL* Get Stolen" thread. :shock:
It's enough to make a guy build a fortress around his car so he can sleep at night..

ve3oky

Greasemonkey
May 30, 2012
Ontario Canada
307 Regal said:
This is turning into that "Your Car *WILL* Get Stolen" thread. :shock:
It's enough to make a guy build a fortress around his car so he can sleep at night..

Well just wanted ya to think is all, but ya reality is, if someone wants it, its gone ..... but we can try to make it harder/more difficult with simple things like blocking ya plates in photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor