Will 3rd/4th gen F b

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malibu Dave

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2006
Jamestown, NY
Will 3rd/4th gen F body rear axles bolt into a G body?

After seeing a guy put a LS1 into a monte ss, Id LOVE to do something similar. But will the rear axle from the camaro/firebirds bolt to these cars at all? I know the F body and G body have the same bolt pattern as I have seen 91/92 Z28 rims on a early 80s Malibu? I mostly am asking cause Id love to have a G body with 4 wheel disc brakes and a rear end that can handle the HP/Torque of the LS1.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
The F-Bodys and G-Bodys have completely different suspensions and aren't even close to bolting in.

SBCregal

Master Mechanic
Jan 22, 2006
Don't they use the same rear end anyways? 7.5" Different gearing no doubt, and its not an open diff Im sure, but I believe they use the same thing. Rear disc brakes shouldn't be too hard to do either, theres gotta be a kit around somewhere that will bolt up, not sure if there are any swaps you can do with stock GM parts, but I wouldn't be suprised if there were.

Ryan

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
While the carrier and gears are the same the housings are different because the G-Bodys have a four link rear suspension and the F-Bodys use lower control arms with a single torque arm. As far as rear disc brakes the disc brakes from a 3rd Gen F-Body can be used.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
The 4th Gen F-Body had a 7.65" ring gear which makes it marginally stronger than a 7.5" ring gear which most G-Bodys had. The best bang for the buck is a 8.5" 10-Bolt from a Buick GN or Olds 442/Hurst Olds. These will have 3.42 gears and also have a good chance of having the optional Posi. Look around they are available for $500-$1000 and bolt right in with a shortened driveshaft. If you want rear disc brakes several companies make conversion kits or use a 3rd Gen F-Body set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor