Windshield Tinted

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverfox

Master Mechanic
Sep 11, 2012
I am curious if any members have tinted the complete windshields on their g-bodies. I have had them done in the past but never on my g-body cars. I want to do it to help stop all the sun damage to the dash and interior.

If any of you have the entire windshield tinted please post pic if you can and or what percentage tint you have.

Thanks

Unless its a factory tinted windshield (which will be minimally tinted, on the tint scale) its illegal to tint windshields................depending on your state tint laws, its difficult enough getting away with darker than legal tint on side and rear windows.

The PO PO will surely let you know your tint is or isn't legal, so if your if in doubt.................drive around long enough to get noticed.

Mr Lightning said:
Unless its a factory tinted windshield (which will be minimally tinted, on the tint scale) its illegal to tint windshields................depending on your state tint laws, its difficult enough getting away with darker than legal tint on side and rear windows.

The PO PO will surely let you know your tint is or isn't legal, so if your if in doubt.................drive around long enough to get noticed.
X2 that's a big NO, NO here in AZ. You are only allowed minim tint on the side windows .You can still have as dark as you want on the back .

tc1959 said:
Mr Lightning said:

X2 that's a big NO, NO here in AZ. You are only allowed minim tint on the side windows .You can still have as dark as you want on the back .

Same here in MI and to be honest even if it was legal I still wouldn't do it because no matter what tint you install it will cut down on visibility and anything that is going to cut down heat and sun damage would have to be very dark to be effective.
If you are concerned about the sun and heat maybe get one of those sun shields for your windshield when it is parked.

Georgia DOT (yes DOT, not police) gave a friend of mine a $1,500 fine for tinting his windshield (think it was like 40 or 50%)

now, there is this "newer" stuff going around called ceramic tint. some shops have it in 70% up to 100% (totally clear) it helps reflect the UV rays and it is hard to tell it is on the glass. it is much more pricy compared to normal tint. hope this helps!

ATLMonte88 said:
Georgia DOT (yes DOT, not police) gave a friend of mine a $1,500 fine for tinting his windshield (think it was like 40 or 50%)

now, there is this "newer" stuff going around called ceramic tint. some shops have it in 70% up to 100% (totally clear) it helps reflect the UV rays and it is hard to tell it is on the glass. it is much more pricy compared to normal tint. hope this helps!

There's a link in my post above about LLumar Air 20.
Darkening the tint of your windshield is as legal as cutting off a federally mandated catalytic converter.
A tinted windshield is just more obvious, but just as illegal, unless you are a police officer in TN.

Put tint on the windshield of the Chrysler 300C I user to have shade was %50 I loved it really cut down on heat and looked good.

silverfox said:
I am curious if any members have tinted the complete windshields on their g-bodies. I have had them done in the past but never on my g-body cars. I want to do it to help stop all the sun damage to the dash and interior.

If any of you have the entire windshield tinted please post pic if you can and or what percentage tint you have.

Thanks

Tinting the windshield is the quickest way to get pulled over around here. Not to mention I am not a fan of tinted windows on older cars. If you are worried about the interior park it in a garage

I know a few ppl here in Cali who've had tinted windshields.. Only 1 was legal & that was because he had a dr's note saying that his mom had eye problems.. But even then it was still really light.. I compare it to looking thru some Blu Blocker sunglasses.. No glare but still not dark, ya know?

The others were both illegal.. The 1st was done by a guy who owned a tint shop.. His sides & rear were so dark that no one noticed his windshield.. Got caught when he opened his door & a CHP officer was parked next to him..

The other didn't get caught by his windshield.. He got ticketed for his front door windows being too dark & needed to be stripped.. Once we stripped those, it was obvious that his front was done too.. So 2 windows costed him 3 in the long run..

Looks nice when done correctly but I have enough issues with police & don't need them asking more questions about my car..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor