Wiper pulse board or turn signal switch problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
I've been thinking my wiper issue has been the pulse board. But does the turn signal switch or anything within the column affect wiper function?

I only have manual and the two highest speeds when engaging the wipers with the multi-function switch. Everything was fine until the washer pump died. When I disassembled the pulse board from the motor to install the new pump, then reassembled it and tried the washer, it wouldn't stop spraying and the wipers haven't worked properly since.

I bought a used complete wiper motor, and it had the exact same problem. It works, but only manual or the two highest speeds that are reserved for heavy downpours or monsoons.

Any help would be appreciated. Years ago the wipers would stop working out of nowhere once or twice a year. Finding a pulse board is proving to be extremely difficult even though EVERY G-Body, F-Body, and Corvette, if I'm not mistaken, had the exact same pulse board for most of the 1980's until about 1992, if not 1996!

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
There are several different wipers and switches. What year, what function, and what kind of column do you have?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
They stopped making pulse boards for the G-body wipers years ago. Went extinct around 2011. Cover and board came together. p/n 22039684 Hard as hell to find new. This is for the pulse wiper (CD4) that has the intermittent wiper. It is not the 2 speed "Lo" and "Hi" version.

Cars that came with the CD4 pulse (may not be a complete list)
84-88 Cutlass with CD4, 84-87 Camaro (except Berlinetta), Firebird, GMC Sprint, Elky. Ciera, Monte Carlo, Bonneville, Grand Prix, Regal, Century, and Celebrity.

The 2 speed version is part number 22039683. Most likely the same cars used these, since the cover is the same shape and the only difference was the intermittent function. They were discontinued around 2010 or so. Saw an NOS one on ebay a couple months ago that sold for $35

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
This may be of interest. My 2006 GMC had a wiper problem(permanent intermittent cycle). I resoldered the board pins and cleaned corrosion from the contact terminals. I don't know the correct terminology but the board was part of the wiper motor/gear housing.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
This may be of interest. My 2006 GMC had a wiper problem(permanent intermittent cycle). I resoldered the board pins and cleaned corrosion from the contact terminals. I don't know the correct terminology but the board was part of the wiper motor/gear housing.

I thought about that too.

However, I tried that with a former coworker's 1997 Chevy C1500 with no avail. Read everywhere that that should fix similar symptoms, and nothing. Bought a new pulse board (similar setup as a G body) as that particular one is available with my own money to help the guy. Didn't fix it either. Last I heard it was thought to be the turn signal switch or something in the column when he paid someone to try to diagnose it.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you have delay wipers (CD4) and tilt wheel with console shift (D55), the column switch p/n is 7843683. The turn signal lever does NOTHING in relationship to the wiper motor itself directly. It simply operates the switch inside the column to make the wipers/sprayer work. This is why you can actually use either type of wiper turn stalk in a pinch.

7842526 if you don't have the console (D55).

Either way, unless you're lucky, you'll be paying a pretty penny for that switch new. Even aftermarket.

Just another thought, the turn signal switch is actually SEPARATE from the wiper switch, although it works in conjunction. Hard to explain, but they're actually two different pieces to the puzzle.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This is why I asked what year and option he had. On a negative ground system the motor is hot and the switch is the ground. On a positive system the switch is hot. Tilt and standard columns use different switches. But if another motor did the same I would concentrate on the switch and wiring. A simple test on a negative pulse system is to momentarily ground the green wire and the motor should do one cycle and shut off.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
If you have delay wipers (CD4) and tilt wheel with console shift (D55), the column switch p/n is 7843683. The turn signal lever does NOTHING in relationship to the wiper motor itself directly. It simply operates the switch inside the column to make the wipers/sprayer work. This is why you can actually use either type of wiper turn stalk in a pinch.

7842526 if you don't have the console (D55).

Either way, unless you're lucky, you'll be paying a pretty penny for that switch new. Even aftermarket.

Just another thought, the turn signal switch is actually SEPARATE from the wiper switch, although it works in conjunction. Hard to explain, but they're actually two different pieces to the puzzle.

EDITED 3/1/19

7843683 crosses to a Standard DS817.

7842526 does not cross to anything and does not appear to be available anymore.

Sounds like lots of testing is in order. Thanks for all the good info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor