Worried about Bias Ply rear tire sway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
Yesterday I took the El Camino to the track for the first time ever. It ran a pitiful 2.38 60ft time due to running low profile street tires and no traction. So now I am looking to get a set of slicks or radials for the track only. Not looking to screw around on the street or even drive it to the track on them. However, after doing some research I keep seeing people talking about tire sway and sometimes having to switch tires completely if it is bad enough. I am the definition of "budget racer" and cannot afford to spend $400+ and then do it again because the car walks all over the track. I was looking at the Hoosier QTPs with a section with of 9.3 and tread of 8.0. They are 26" tall and I will be mounting them on a 14" steel wheel. I will continue to run my BF Goodrich T/A Radials upfront. Just looking for some advise from you guys...Thank you!

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I personally would look for a pair of inexpensive 15 x 8 rims that will fit your car and then buy something like a 275/60 in a drag radial and you can swap those when you get to the track.
14" rims for the rears that are probably at best 7" wide really limit your selection on rear tires.
If you ran the Quick Time Pro I they also require tubes which will probably add another $100 to the cost plus I would not want to run then with radial fronts.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Most of the problems start when people run their slicks with too low of tire pressure. I've run a lot of different slicks on my Regal and never had any kind of problem (15 to 18 psi) I would also step up to 15in slicks - more choices - more sellable.

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
I really thought about the 15" rims but cant seem to find any on craigslist and new ones are 50 bucks each. I could get them from the junkyard for $12 each but i dont know how to make sure they are straight. Maybe bolt them up and run the car and see that way? I also read that people run the QTPs without tubes. I guess if you run tubes you need to have bead locks, or so I hear.

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
These look pretty good for a 15" wheel...Mickey Thompson ET Drag Slicks 3052R

Section Width - 9.90
Tread - 8.50

Or following what 565 said....Hoosier DOT Drag Radial 17317

Section - 11.50
Tread - 10

I have an 8.8 readend and it is slightly wider than a stock gbody. I will be using standard steel wheels with I beleive 3.5" of BS. This gives me crazy amounts of clearance between the frame and tire, without sticking out of the fender and looking stupid. With my BF Goodrich tires I have about 3" between the tire and frame.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Take the bare wheel to a tire store or mechanic with a wheel spin balancer. Only takes a minute to screw one on and give it a spin to see if they're straight. Last collision shop I worked at (we had a tire machine and balancer) we checked every used wheel that certain yards tried to deliver....took 4 tries from a local import only yard.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Sorry, not to thread hijack, the 8,8 you are running, whats it out of? Fox or sn95 (factory 5 lug)? How is the tire clearance on stock backspace wheels and tires to the inner fender lip? What backspace and rim width do you run?
I've been putting off my sn95 8.8 swap thinking I need to narrow this thing because of the width so I don't need some crazy backspace wheel.

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
Sorry, not to thread hijack, the 8,8 you are running, whats it out of? Fox or sn95 (factory 5 lug)? How is the tire clearance on stock backspace wheels and tires to the inner fender lip? What backspace and rim width do you run?
I've been putting off my sn95 8.8 swap thinking I need to narrow this thing because of the width so I don't need some crazy backspace wheel.

The rearend I got was out of a 98 Mustang GT. It came with the 3.27 gear that I reused, but changed all the bearings and clutch pack. My stock rims with 3.75 BS or something like that fit and look great. I have stock springs in the back so its okay, but if you had it lowered you would have to roll the inner wheel well a little bit. When I get slicks I will be running this BS because it gives me about 3.5" of clearance between the wheel and frame. I have some aftermarket rims with 5.75 BS and they fit absolutely perfect, just like stock. I am very happy with the swap and think it will be perfect for running some smaller slicks.

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
T
Take the bare wheel to a tire store or mechanic with a wheel spin balancer. Only takes a minute to screw one on and give it a spin to see if they're straight. Last collision shop I worked at (we had a tire machine and balancer) we checked every used wheel that certain yards tried to deliver....took 4 tries from a local import only yard.

This sounds really stupid, but how do you make sure you get the right pattern? A lot of times there are wheels and tires laying all over and rarely on the cars. Just wondering if you guys have a trick or anything.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
The rearend I got was out of a 98 Mustang GT. It came with the 3.27 gear that I reused, but changed all the bearings and clutch pack. My stock rims with 3.75 BS or something like that fit and look great. I have stock springs in the back so its okay, but if you had it lowered you would have to roll the inner wheel well a little bit. When I get slicks I will be running this BS because it gives me about 3.5" of clearance between the wheel and frame. I have some aftermarket rims with 5.75 BS and they fit absolutely perfect, just like stock. I am very happy with the swap and think it will be perfect for running some smaller slicks.

Did you redrill the stock ford axles for the gm pattern or did you go with ford pattern wheels? Also, did the 14's fit over your disc brakes?
I have a 97 gt rear I built with motive 4.10's, ford racing carbon fiber clutches in the posi, and new bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor