would like to swap out my 267 in my 81 grand prix to ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

229MonteHO

Apprentice
Jul 4, 2008
Liverpool, NY
kcpets said:
i'm not sure what transmission i have . Is there a way to tell with out having to crawl under the car ? here is my vin number. 2g2aj37j1b2543462. Not sure what 350 i'd like i was thinking chevy but if i could find a pontiac 350 or buick then i'd go that way. i would like a modest 300 horse or a tad more....lol

I'm sure my 267 is a pontiac motor

With the engine code "J" (8th digit), it should be the Chevy 267 V8. The Pontiac is a 265 V8, and is a "S" in the VIN.

As was said earlier, if you wanna go pure Pontiac you can get the 265/301 engine mounts and drop in a Poncho 350 or 400, providing you have a transmission that will work with it. If you're on a budget or like finding parts easily, since it already has a Chevy mill, you should be able to swap in a Chevy 350 with very little work.

Whichever way you go about it, good luck with it! :D

Aaron

BBCCARGUY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2008
Iowa
454 in the grandprix

The 454 will fit make sure you at least have turbo 350 trans the trans bolts up to the bbc make sure you set trans and motor bolted together in with the trans mount and cross member in place and set the motor mounts position from there the original mount location should be right but not always the case like in mine. but first you have to decide how much $ you want to spend in the begining because the hooker super comps you'll need are around 500$ for the big tube you can buy step down headders for areound 200$ maybe cheeper.

BBCCARGUY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2008
Iowa
454 in grand prix

sorry forgot to mention if you use the big block make sure you find the right shell mount that bolts to the motor which you should have off of you 267 because the shell mounts from a truck are taller than what you want to use and will set your fan too high in the fan shroud.any more ques. just let me know will help you as much as poss.

BBCCARGUY

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2008
Iowa
454 in the grand prix

I also see you want to use the 200 4r good trans better than most of the 700 r4 in most cases in the beginning because not all of the 700's have hardened in and exit shafts most or all of the 200's do have both so that is money saved right off the start but how far are you building it too matters of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor