Y or 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

army258

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 19, 2009
Jersey Shore
:oops: I feel very stupid now... Im gonna assume the 8th digit is either a Y or a 9 right. Im sorry im still gettin used to this stuff, I have just about no knowlage with cars

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
Blake442 said:
No need to feel stupid... you gotta learn it somehow... :D

Only a H/O or 442 will have the 9.

Just keep in mind that the VIN will only tell you what engine was factory installed. If it's been changed, all bets are off. Also note that some Caddy Fleetwoods got VIN 9 307 motors in the late 1980s.

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
army258 said:
ok haha. thanks for being so patient. Is the 9 and Y 307s completely identical to each other by apperence?
The Harmonic Balancer is the only way to tell, VIN Y's got a thin Balancer that looks pretty pathetic, almost looks like it would barely do anything...
VIN 9's on the other hand go the same thick Balancer that came on 350's through 455's.
If you have to ask it's probably not a VIN 9 unless your tryin to figure out if the 442 or Hurst you have has had a motor swap.
Check the carb number too and get back to us...
86-87's had a 1786009 the Y's ended in an 8 so look closely since they are similar.
83-85 I can't remember off the top of my head but I think ended in 34 and 35???

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor