Yoke and Driveshaft mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
My car had a TH200 in it when I bought it. I swapped in a TH350. I used the same driveshaft. The TH200 & TH350 are almost exactly the same length. If cutting off 3 inches is what it takes to swap a TH350 to a 700R4, it should also work for the TH200.
I second this.

Reactions: 1 user

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
There are multiple different length 700R4's

I will check the ATSG manual, but, at least seven different output shafts that I know of.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The yoke on a TH200/250/350 is the same as on a 700R4/4L60. A 4WD tran has no tailhousing- there is an adapter that bolts in between the trans and transfer case. The mainshaft is different, and the olny way to use one in a 2WD format is to rebuild the whole trans around the correct mainshaft and tailhousing.

The TH350 came in 3 tailhousing lengths, 3", 6", and 9". I think I had a long tailhousing 350 from the donor 76 Impala that provided my 400SBC. I had the driveshaft shortened 3", and when I eventually burned it up, a 700-R4 dropped and matched perfectly. So, yeah, cut 3". Preferably from the rear if you have any doubts about your welding skills. Better a tail-drag than a pogo-stick. Mark the tube and yoke so you reweld them in exactly the same orientation to maintain the balance. Better yet, get a professional shop to do it...

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Dinosport

G-Body Guru
Jul 20, 2015
Ct
The yoke on a TH200/250/350 is the same as on a 700R4/4L60. A 4WD tran has no tailhousing- there is an adapter that bolts in between the trans and transfer case. The mainshaft is different, and the olny way to use one in a 2WD format is to rebuild the whole trans around the correct mainshaft and tailhousing.

The TH350 came in 3 tailhousing lengths, 3", 6", and 9". I think I had a long tailhousing 350 from the donor 76 Impala that provided my 400SBC. I had the driveshaft shortened 3", and when I eventually burned it up, a 700-R4 dropped and matched perfectly. So, yeah, cut 3". Preferably from the rear if you have any doubts about your welding skills. Better a tail-drag than a pogo-stick. Mark the tube and yoke so you reweld them in exactly the same orientation to maintain the balance. Better yet, get a professional shop to do it...

Yeah I'm not doing that job myself. I'm going to drop it off with a measurement. For 150 they'll cut it, balance and put new ujoints. Totally worth it for me. Piece of mind it's done right

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor