1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoke and Driveshaft mods

Discussion in 'Chassis / Drivetrain / Suspension / Wheels' started by Dinosport, Dec 19, 2016.

1. L67ss

L67ss Royal Smart Person

I second this.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bar50

Bar50 Royal Smart Person

There are multiple different length 700R4's

I will check the ATSG manual, but, at least seven different output shafts that I know of.

3. ssn696

ssn696 Royal Smart Person

The yoke on a TH200/250/350 is the same as on a 700R4/4L60. A 4WD tran has no tailhousing- there is an adapter that bolts in between the trans and transfer case. The mainshaft is different, and the olny way to use one in a 2WD format is to rebuild the whole trans around the correct mainshaft and tailhousing.

The TH350 came in 3 tailhousing lengths, 3", 6", and 9". I think I had a long tailhousing 350 from the donor 76 Impala that provided my 400SBC. I had the driveshaft shortened 3", and when I eventually burned it up, a 700-R4 dropped and matched perfectly. So, yeah, cut 3". Preferably from the rear if you have any doubts about your welding skills. Better a tail-drag than a pogo-stick. Mark the tube and yoke so you reweld them in exactly the same orientation to maintain the balance. Better yet, get a professional shop to do it...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dinosport

Dinosport Master Mechanic

Yeah I'm not doing that job myself. I'm going to drop it off with a measurement. For 150 they'll cut it, balance and put new ujoints. Totally worth it for me. Piece of mind it's done right

• Agree Agree x 1