youngster needs some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyandthemonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 20, 2014
hello all so my luck keeps going my intake manifold gasket let go (probably should have changed everything when it was out) but anyways took of a bracket for my dad and yippy is started leaking. so i dont see it being hard to replace i am just worried about what i do with the dristrubtor i need to point it at number one and it will turn slightly coming out but how should i mark it ect ect. any other tips would be great also

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Anyone chime in here, but I'd imagine if you don't roll the motor over when it's apart, mark the distrubitors position (on the valve cover or something where it won't wiper off), and also mark the rotors position on the cap. Then you can just pull it out and re-install on those marks. The timing might not be perfect, but it will get you close for fire up.

81_El_Homewrecker

Greasemonkey
Oct 26, 2015
As kwik said, mark it so that when you install it you will be close. If your careful you wont be a tooth off or anything, then you can just fine tune it.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
:) on every vehicle I have ever owned with a SBC there is a chalk mark on the firewall directly behind the distributor. Pop off the cap and bump the starter until the point on the rotor lines up with the chalk mark. Pull the distributor and pay attention to where the rotor is facing once the gear comes off the camshaft. With a little practice 99.9% of the time you can drop it back in and be right on the money. If you are off 1 tooth it wont line up with the oil pump, wont seal to the block and wont match the chalk mark. You can also use paint marker to mark the collar in relation to the block so your timing will be almost bang on as well. Taught to me by old Angus many moons ago !

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor