Your G body

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenc8337

Greasemonkey
Nov 24, 2012
NYC
hey guys im just curious to know what it is about g body cars that you like so much? one of the things I like about them is its simplicity and its real American feel especially being the last mid size full frame rear wheel drive GM platform.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have owned quite a few Gbodies, I always thought they had great styling for their time period and even now I think if they are done right they have an eyecatching look.
To me I liked that they could be a really nice more modern cruiser compared to the A body platform since Gbodies had many options that could be added and almost all of mine came nearly fully loaded and about half with a roof option.
I liked that they could have AC, power steering ,brakes, tilt column, power windows, locks, trunk release, sun/moonroofs, t-tops, cruise control, rear defrost and later models even an overdrive trans.
I always liked their cloth interior with either 60/40 pillowtop seats or buckets and console.
The full frame/rear wheel drive platform makes a great foundation to build on.
Other than the GN the only real turn off for me was the lack of power and I always thought the Monte SS looked Badass but it was a "sheep in wolf's clothing" so since I couldn't afford a GN I finally settled on my Monte CL to build up the way I thought a Monte SS could look and also have some real power under the hood.
I think this is a generation of body styles that still have the potential to be something different and are not at the point where everything conceivable has been done to them already, nothing against a 69 Camaro but it's been done to death.
I've looked at other body styles like the A-bodies and Nova's which I have owned a few of both and have considered second gen F bodies but I always come back to wanting a Gbody, it just feels right when I am driving mine.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
For me I'm partial to the Regal because I like it's lines. I also like that it is a larger car (I'm 6'6), full frame, large engine bay. G-bodies lend themselves very well to the hot rodder because it is very open to modifications and additions. Many cars require major reworking to upgrade/change/modify, while G-bodies seem to be built almost with the idea that they would be a blank canvas to build a cruiser, dragster, show queen, etc. The other thing that is nice is the length and width of the car gives it very predictable characteristics when applying "excessive power to the tires"

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Because they are incredibly simple to work on.

workinProgress

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2014
Poplar Grove IL
I love G bodies for that classic look with clean lines. There is something about the body lines that are simply great. They are incredibly easy to work on, parts used to be a dime a dozen, and they are SOLID cars. My old 83 GP hit a brick wall (not me driving) and drove home like a champ. Couldn't do that in modern cars. These are tanks, sexy and there are so many options available to personalize them so to speak.

Kansas Bu Wagon

G-Body Guru
Jul 9, 2012
Wichita, Ks
Because they're cheaper than A-bodies lol.

I've always loved g body malibus and GN's. And the fact that they're a mid sized full frame rwd car, and they're fairly cheap. Paid $1,000 for my wagon and drove it for a couple of years with minimal work.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I learned to drive in a Malibu wagon, later creamed by a drunk driver. I could not find a pickup in Connecticut worth buying - too pricey or too rotten. But I found another wagon for cheap and took it from a 3.8 V6 to a 400SBC over the next 14 years.

I think these cars appeal to me because I identify my early years with them. Today they are so vastly different that what is on the road, that having one makes a statement.

GM was kind enough to mix and match parts across platforms. Upgrades can still be scratched out of the boneyards. With luck the aftermarket will eventually provision the G body like it has the A body.

Finally, the LS engine family and transmissions of today can be easily adapted to the G body for healthy power that is almost plug'n'play.

Nov 4, 2012
I like the relatively low price, the styling, how easy it is to work on them. I also like that they can be modded like '60s hot rods and driven like modern cars for hardly anything money-wise. The body on frame construction makes them much better suited for drag car builds and big engine cars than f bodies. Even though the motors they come with are total dogs (besides the GN) they are still extremely reliable. The only downside (for some people) is they have very little rear seat room. However the front seats have a ton of room. I'm 6'2 and fit with room to spare.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I think lots of the great points have been covered. I like my Gbody for semi-sentimental reasons. I like all Gbodys for their ability to be just about any car you want them to be. Cruiser? Yup. Drag strip? Sure. Autocross? Check. Lowrider? Yes. Hot street? Youbetcha. Donk? If you must. Family truckster? Absolutely.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
motorheadmike said:
Because they are incredibly simple to work on.
x2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor