Your Gbody"s history....

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
damn jetsetw31! :shock: I had a a 81 GP LJ that I bought for parts for my 85 but seeing as it was in a pretty good shape I knew a friend who worked for the DMV and he let me file for a lost title under the previous name and then switched it over to me for a 12 pack of beer! :D great stories I think that's awesome most of you guys can nail down the whole timeline!!

LoveandRockets

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 11, 2014
Oswego County, NY
This is a great topic! I love digging into a car's history - even if I only wind up finding out a few small things, it makes me feel like I've put a piece of the puzzle that makes up that cars' story together.

My Olds was ordered in May of '83 by my grandparents from my cousins' Bronx dealership; it was delivered two weeks later. It was ordered as a base Briar Brown Supreme with a 307, HD suspension, A/C, and a dealer-installed alarm and stereo. I remember the first time I saw it it being so much smaller than the Polara they had been driving around for years. I still remember how awful I thought the new car smell was. :D

I have an entire folder full of paperwork that's just priceless to me; my favorite being a small notebook that my grandfather kept in the glovebox. He wrote every single maintenance and repair in that book from the time the car was new until the time I wound up with it. Everything from very religious oil changes to the intake manifold that the dealer had to replace when the car was only a few months old.

Not too many people can say they still have a car from their childhood; I have almost 32 years worth of memories tied up in this car. I remember everything from being taken to school with it, to going on a roadtrip to Georgia in it, to my grandfather yelling at me and my brother to stop jumping in and out of the windows ala Dukes of Hazzard, to the first time my grandfather finally (and begrudgingly) let me drive it. Now my son gets to ride around in it, and he loves it as much as I do.

179377_1849464594707_3547771_n.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

soloone87

Greasemonkey
May 15, 2014
hollywood,fl
I found my 1986 Chevy Monte Carlo on Craigslist listed for $3000, it was down in Homestead Florida at the time I was looking for a Chevy s10 to make into a drag truck. I this matte black monte with a redone interior I called the guy by the name of *rambo* and anybody that knows you there is no such thing as projects florida our wires or they have never been the bottom of homestead this place was the get a list area I think I've ever seen in my life I pull up to look at the car and there's a party going on everybody was smoking weed and drinking beers there were kids running the road honestly I bought a minute shotand anybody that knows you there is no such thing as projects florida our wires or they have never been the bottom of homestead this place was the most ghetto area I think I've ever seen in my life.

I pull up to look at the car and there's a party going on everybody was smoking weed and drinking beers there were kids running the road honestly I thought I might get shot or robbed. I find this guy named Rambo and he's on house arrest and he's selling the car to get money for his probation officer, whatever I was able to talk him down so $1200 because he wanted to keep his speaker box in the trunk which I didn't care because I'm going to turn into a speed card not a donk so I head back down the next day money in pocket the guy couldn't find the title I already had the car towed away and he had to break into his mother's room to get the title.

now when I bought it the car wouldn't start because of a loose starter I put 3 washers on each bolt and it started right up.so I started to think of other things to do to the motor and then I figured out it wasn't a 350 as advertised but it was a 305. so I was debating on a big block 454 or a 350 small block me and my buddy Nutter building this thing kind of went back and forth for a day or two and I got a call from my uncle offering me a free 350 Vortec motor all I had to do was go get it 800 miles away. That kind of solving the argument, when I got back here I seen that the heads on the Vortec motor or cracked so after digging around for a little while I decided if I'm going to rebuild the motor I might as well make it a 383 and then I started buying all these parts and that's where I'm at now aside from the fact my uncle also have me an additional 350 that want banged up.

funny side story the original owner of the vehicle posted the car up for sale on eBay it was a gold base model Monte Carlo selling for $4500 he had a performance built 305 motor with a fully built turbo 350 transmission and a chipped ECU from superchip so essentially I save a race car from becoming a bass car.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
wow! thought the thread died!:) for me, most of my rides g body or not have just "fallen" on my lap I have taken the time to research on how they came from the factory and what has been done to it. I really like my G bodies and even though my rides aren't special it's nice to know the specs...

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
My car's history is pretty intact. They really don't come any more unmolested than the way I got it either. It's a '79 and my grandparents bought it new in '80 (sat on the lot for a while -- small town). My uncle did all the repairs and maintenance at his shop since day one. It was the only car to get parked in their 1 car garage and mostly got used for long trips so it wasn't technically a low miler but they were honest highway miles. When I bought in '08 it still had a lot of the literature in the glovebox and even had the instruction sheet for the mini-spare in place. The original dealership key tag turned up later at my grandpa's house. While I don't have a stack of receipts for dealership oil changes, I know where the car has been and whats been done.

Reactions: 1 user

Heavydutypete

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 13, 2015
Alberta
wow! thought the thread died!:) for me, most of my rides g body or not have just "fallen" on my lap I have taken the time to research on how they came from the factory and what has been done to it. I really like my G bodies and even though my rides aren't special it's nice to know the specs...
Awesome thread! My Monte Carlo actually ended up basically falling in my lap! I had always wanted a Monte Carlo ss since I was a kid and last fall I checking out the local classifieds and find one ad says 13 years in storage asking $3000 to good be be true right? Wrong I end up phoning the guy he tells me he's had 160 phone calls in 10 minutes ad was only up for 15mins and so on and on he goes I ask him if I can come take a look he says he has a few guys that also showed interest but I told I had the money...so me and my buddy ditch work and drive 3.5 hours to look at it and sure enough it's a 86 Monte Carlo ss with t tops sweet! Also the car came from Sonoma California got shipped to British Columbia on a boat gets sold to the guy I bought from the car then comes to alberta on a train the guy unloads it in 2001 puts it in his garage and unfortunately passes away and his son ends up selling me the car for what I feel is a steal which it is considering it's all original except the weld rims and it's all still in MPH which is also rare in Canada

Thanks for reading thought I would share the course of events for my Monte

Thanks Pete

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Awesome stories! nothing like skipping work to buy your dream car! I likey! lol I bought my first GP from my pop's who got me involved into the g body game! He knew I liked monte carlos and he managed to get me 3 which I was way too young to appreciate it at the moment, and all of them needed work to the point I couldn't afford them! BUT he did have a 79 GP which he was going to give to my older sis but she said it was too old! So I told him I would buy it with my summer money from him! lots of memories which eventually I sold :doh: bad decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor