Z28 gearbox Jeep Shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilSpann601

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2008
Jackson Mississippi
I was finally able to get my monte carlo moved to the house the other day. I got a few parts I had got off ebay a while back that I never installed like a steering gear from a 83 z28. I was able to pull a steering shaft from a 92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo this swap looks straight forward except for Im going to have to notch my column shaft. Whats the easiest way to do this?

Also I got to swap over my pitman arm to the z28 box. Im going to have to wait to do that because my pitman puller got stuck on the z28 box tried pulling the z28 arm off without the gear installed in a car. Pretty much car still has the 305 thinking about getting a sbc 350 from a 93 truck for 400. Will the 4bbl gm intake go on a 93 sbc 350 efi?

Cant wait to get the shaft installed and gearbox should go great with the moog springs I put all around. Next im going to wire up a switch to work with the 700r4 the lock up. One other thing my brakes are not working properly. The front brakes keep locking up and its hard for the car to move. I replaced the brake caliper a few years back and the car sat up afterwards, I have the car jacked up and its hard to rotor the 2 front wheels if I unscrew the valve on the brake it looses the wheel and im able to roll the wheel freely.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
As for your front calipers locking up and you're able to release them by loosening the bleeders. It sounds like you may have a bad brake hose or two. They sometimes become constricted and act like a one way check valve. It probably couldn't hurt to replace them, they're relatively cheap.

The Jeep intermediate shaft swap is easy. Just line up the shaft with your column and determine where the pinch bolt comes thru.
Then mark the area and either use a rat tail file, or a small grinding stone on a die grinder or Dremel tool.
It's a nice upgrade from the stock rag joint type shaft.

You might be alright using the Z28 arm.. Just compare the lengths between the two...and make sure they're the same type boxes.

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
I thought the arm was different on the f body? if not does this mean you can use any box from 82-93 Camaro/firebird?

LilSpann601

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2008
Jackson Mississippi
I did too. After reading thousands of post everybody was saying the fbody arm wouldnt fit but soon as i pull both off sat them down they were identical even though they had different numbers. I got the box mounted and everything connected..except for the jeep shaft...if it possible for the jeep bolt to cut a grove in my shaft as I tighten it...I seen on other forums...they install the shaft as is and just tighten the bolt and it cuts some of the metal away. But that was for a chevy truck. I dont have any tools to cut a grove in the shaft except for a drill maybe...

1bad79

Royal Smart Person
Dec 3, 2011
Allendale mi
cool im working on my frame right now im going to hit the junkyard and pickup a box and arm then, I got the jeep shaft allready

LilSpann601

Greasemonkey
Aug 11, 2008
Jackson Mississippi
Well today I was able to get the z28 box all mounted up and even got the shaft installed. I installed the shaft without cutting a notch. I just put the screw in the shaft and let it cut the shaft while tighten the bolt. I also found a spare brand new brake line I installed only took a few minutes plan on getting the passenger side changed soon. next big thing up after the brake lines and I need a new centerlink I tried tighten down the bolt that connects to the pitman arm and it just spins..after that im going to try to find me a good used sbc 350...and toss the 305...after driving it home the other day I feel the 305 will not suit me...seem not to have much power here are a few pics

CAM00376.jpg
CAM00377.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor