ZQ8/ 1LE/ Vette brakes questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
Has anyone on here done the ZQ8 spindle/brake upgrade on their ride yet? I've read a little about it, the ZQ8 is the S10 Extreme option and allows the dual piston brake setup on the g-body. My question is, can the 1LE rotor and bearings be swapped for the ZQ8 stuff? I also read that a stock 4 piston caliper from a Vette can be adapted to the g-body spindle with little effort.
Any help is appreciated.

AlanB

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2010
Trenton NJ area
I haven't done the swap, but I think I know the answers to your questions. The 1LE rotor and bearings will not swap onto the S10 ZQ8 spindles because the ZQ8 spindles use a sealed bearing hub with a slip on rotor. Your brake options with the ZQ8 spindles are the stock ZQ8 11" rotors and dual piston calipers, and I believe with a mounting bracket change you could install LS1 12" brakes or C5 brakes.

Another option getting a lot of attention is to modify G-body spindles, which with the use of a custom bracket, allows you to use LS1 12" brakes or C5 brakes. In order to do this you will need to either get a G-body rotor machined down to act as a hub for a slip on rotor, or buy a hub already made from a company like flynbye or Kore3.

Here are two posts which talk about the pros and cons of using modified G-body spindles:

http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=773304

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-suspensions-tires-wheels/172762-ls1-brake-mod.html

Also, we've got someone right on this forum who has already done the LS1 brake swap:

http://www.gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=25333&p=197791

monteboy84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2005
For what it costs to do the S10 Blazer spindles/bearings and Corvette brakes, I don't know why anyone would do anything different. I really like the bracket kit from Kore3, it costs a little bit more (I think I paid $130 for the kit) than Flynbye, but from what I've seen of the Flynbye kit, Kore3 would get my money.

Here's a couple pics of my spindle setup mocked up before paint or installation.
100_0197.jpg

100_0198.jpg

So, do the Blazer/C5/Kore3 setup, you won't regret it.

-matt

japc74

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 14, 2009
To monteboy-

I have the 98 up ls1 brakes. If i purchase the same hub you have will it work? What i have is caliper, rotor, caliper bracket and brake lines. Is there anything else i need for the front?

monteboy84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 7, 2005
I'm not entirely sure what you'll need, but I believe that the LS1 brackets are slightly different. Give Tobin at Kore3 a call and get his input, he's a very knowledgeable and helpful guy. When I ordered my brackets I was on the phone for less than 5 minutes with him, and he knew exactly what I needed, all of which fit phenomenally when I assembled it.

-matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor