Factory style replacement exhaust for 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmoore4321

Greasemonkey
Dec 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
The exhaust on my 442 was beginning to look like swiss cheese due to rust forming on the inside. I bought the complete Walker factory replacement exhaust from amazon.com.

1672.gif

exhaust1.jpg

exhaust2.jpg

exhaust3.jpg

exhaust4.jpg

exhaust9.jpg

exhaust14.jpg

exhaust13.jpg

exhaust6.jpg

exhaust5.jpg

exhaust7.jpg

exhaust10.jpg

exhaust8.jpg

exhaust17.jpg

exhaust16.jpg

exhaust18.jpg

how much was it? also some of your old pipe looks like i can re use it. if you'd like to sell it to me send a PM

You can look the prices up on Amazon. I think it was around $450 with the converter and that included all the clamps and mounting brackets. The only pipe that is salvageable is the 90 degree pipe that is on the inlet side of the converter. The screws are hopelessly locked to the converter and would need to be cut off. The rest of the pipes are toast. They look fine on the outside, but the wall thickness is paper thin from rust.

The Walker pipes are built well and is a true bolt-on system. I did not even jack the car up to do the install.

The Walker Quietflow mufflers sound about the same as the factory mufflers did. I will see if I can take a short video tomorrow.

You can see the Quietflow mufflers are a "straight thru" design like a glass pack.

exhaust15.jpg

I seen this post but didn't see a pic of the exhaust side of the cat. I'm replacing mine with the exact same one, but I thought from the factory, they had spring bolts for the "donut" style seal. Is this correct? Or was it just two bolts torqued?

FYI, I recently was searching Summit and Jegs, and low and behold, there is a perfect fit bullet muffler replacement that fits right in place of the stock ones. It is 2 1/4" all the way through, and gives it a nice deep tone without making it raspy sounding. The reason I went looking for these was that the stock muffler didn't clear the trailing arm brace at the front of the lower control arm. I'm glad I did. Much more clearance and a better sounding car. Funny thing is, this bullet muffler is made by Walker-Dynomax. :mrgreen: Here is a photo and link in case anyone wants to do the same.

289-24234.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/24234/10002/-1

I always thought turbo mufflers sounded good with Olds motors. I had true duals and turbo mufflers with headers on one cutlass and my 307 powered 442 has factory looking exhaust with turbo mufflers and it doesnt sound half bad. Its loud enough to hear when you start it up in the morning out front of the house but not loud enough to piss the neighbors off.

There are two systems that sound pretty good..The Walker replacement system, and the Hooker Super-comp system... The hooker one must be bought for a Gand National, but they both fit the same.. Same cat flanges, so its a direct fit cat back type and even comes with a "test" pipe to replace the cat with(for any that dont have to pass smog tests), but can bolt right onto the back of a stock one...there is one more I found after looking, and thats the Flowmaster American Thunder kit, but that is what its name implies, LOUD.
One major difference, only the Walker system actually looks stock.
The Flowmaster one is only cat back, and tailpipes come out under the bumper(Monte Carlo style), and the Hooker lit has mandrel type bends(no kinks).
...But yours looks great under there, and it must even feel better in the skinny pedal...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor