LT1 pros and cons

Status
Not open for further replies.

87ttop

Master Mechanic
Jan 8, 2011
chattanooga, tn
I have made up my mind to go with LT1s in both my cutlass and elco but I want to know the pros and cons of doing this please let me know and I am lookin for somebody in southeast tennesse who can do the conversion. I want it to look and operate as if it was meant to be there

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Pros IMO are dead-solid reliable factory-engineered 305 horses, and they're better looking than LS engines. Also, they are more like the first-gen SBCs, so swaps are easier than LS engines.

Among the cons are limited (more expensive) upgrades, development isn't really ongoing, it's hard to find low mile donors, and many have had issues with the optispark system. There are other options for ignition, but none are inexpensive.

There are a lot of either pros or cons, if you don't have a donor car already, there are probably better options to go with. And I'm a fan of LT1s.

LT1swap.com has a lot of good info on wiring and such.

Randy_W

G-Body Guru
Oct 16, 2005
Eastern Shore
It's a very simple swap, I did my my '67 Impala SS over 10 years ago, did my '75 Formula 3 years ago, my buddy's '96 Bravada 9 years ago, and we're doing his '57 Chevy now. Big torque, good horsepower, simple, and if you use either a '94 - '96 B-body or '96 and up F body or Vette Opti spark, they are vented and have almost zero issues. The one on my '67 now has well over 120k miles, the one in Firebird has about 140k, the one in the Bravada is over 200k and all work like new. :wink:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Donor cars are great for things like the electric fans, throttle cables, cruise units, etc.

The ORIGINAL opti in my 92 corvette had 121K on it when I sold it, so not everybody has problems with them, and I drove it rain or shine.

IMO, the corvette accessory drive has the best layout for a G body, but they tend to be more spendy since they have the "corvette tax" attached.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
pros: easy swap, cheaper than an LS
cons: you will fight with the optispark every day til it's right. then it will break again and you'll have to mess with it. harder to work on certain areas than a gen1, less power than an LS, harder to find parts, aftermarket parts are expensive,

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
95 f body's run a vented optispark as well. F body and Y body cars will give you aluminum heads. The B body cars usually run iron. For me personally there is no performance difference. With the vented units you won't have any problems. I have had mine for 5 years now and have never had to mess with it. The bad name came from the non vented units that trapped moisture. You can make some pretty good power out of them for not a whole lot of money. Look into a company called Lloyd Elliot if you ever want to make 350-400hp at the wheels for a fair price. The head design is unique and very good. The intake works well in all RPM ranges. If you are just swapping and plan on not modding it you can't really beat an LT swap if the price is right for the engine. You could even get the trans with it if you find a donor car. You could have an overdrive 4l60e. I don't know what type of mileage they would get in a g body but I have pulled in 26mpg on the high way driving it like a grandma and usually pull in around 17-18 mixed driving rural and city.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
CHRIS.O said:
The bad name came from the non vented units that trapped moisture.
...and cheap-asses who won't spend the money when the water pump starts to leak on them.

I agree with pretty much everything said by all those who chimed in. They're pretty decent in stock form but can be expensive to upgrade due to orphan status.

pencero

Royal Smart Person
Feb 20, 2008
Ind.
I have a very viable car with an L05 just Begging for an LT1 swap and cannot afford to proceed pm me if int. yall w/ a LT1 just laying around - I want to put money in my cutlass instead if you know what i mean *_^

87ttop

Master Mechanic
Jan 8, 2011
chattanooga, tn
well im getting two complete setups for 1500 I.just need somebody to put them in my cutlass and elco I budgeted about 500 for each car on labor to get them running and driving, what do u guys think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor