quick steering tune up

Status
Not open for further replies.

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Nice. I was just wondering about tuning steering boxes myself...

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
I've done this to many steering boxes in 35 years and just want to add a few notes of caution:
The textbook way to do it is with the box on the bench, using a beam-type inch-pounds torque wrench on the end of the sector shaft to measure the drag at the center point of the travel. Adjusting the preload too tight will reduce the steering gear's self-centering ability and it becomes a PIA to drive straight down the road. If you're going to shadetree the adjustment process, do it out on the road. Make a small punch or scribe mark on the adjuster bolt and a reference mark on the housing. Adjust a 1/4 turn at a time, with a drive after each adjustment to make sure the steering centers itself properly. Once you get to the point that the steering won't center itself easily, back it off 1/4 turn and do one final drive. It may take an hour or two to do, but in the long run you'll be glad you gave the job the attention it deserves.

Bill

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
billyjack said:
I've done this to many steering boxes in 35 years and just want to add a few notes of caution:
The textbook way to do it is with the box on the bench, using a beam-type inch-pounds torque wrench on the end of the sector shaft to measure the drag at the center point of the travel. Adjusting the preload too tight will reduce the steering gear's self-centering ability and it becomes a PIA to drive straight down the road. If you're going to shadetree the adjustment process, do it out on the road. Make a small punch or scribe mark on the adjuster bolt and a reference mark on the housing. Adjust a 1/4 turn at a time, with a drive after each adjustment to make sure the steering centers itself properly. Once you get to the point that the steering won't center itself easily, back it off 1/4 turn and do one final drive. It may take an hour or two to do, but in the long run you'll be glad you gave the job the attention it deserves.

Bill

I have access to an inch pound beam style torque wrench. What numbers am I looking for to have on the sector shaft?

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
I'll look it up in one of my GM service manuals and either post the values or scan the pages.

Bill

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Thanks, Bill. 8)

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
For those who desire to adjust their steering box on the bench, here is the procedure direct from the '86 Oldsmobile Factory Service Manual:
1) Center the pitman shaft. When centered, the wide tooth on the pitman shaft is directly in line with the adjuster bolt on the top of the box
2)Loosen the preload adjuster lock nut, then back off the preload adjuster screw (allen head stud) until it stops, then turn it in one full turn.
3)With the pitman shaft still centered, using a beam type inch-pounds torque wrench, check the torque necessary to turn the stub shaft, i.e. the shaft that connects to the steering intermediate shaft and eventually the column. I don't remember the proper size, but a 12 point socket will fit the splines in the shaft.
4)Turn the adjuster in until the torque is 4-5 inch pounds more than the reading from step #3. Hold the adjuster screw in place and torque the lock not to 20 ft. lbs.
5)Reinstall the steering box, fluid lines, steering intermediate shaft and steering linkage.

I suppose you could do the process with the box still on the frame, but once you have disconnected the lines, pitman arm and steering shaft, you're only a few more bolts away from having it on the bench.

Hope this helps.

Bill

307 Regal

Royal Smart Person
Oct 21, 2009
Northern Indiana
Thanks again, Bill. I'm gonna save that to my computer. I took a look and from how tight things are in there with my Olds engine I'm probably gonna have to do this on a bench anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor