Time to stop lurking

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonreid

Greasemonkey
May 27, 2011
Rockmart, Georgia
I've been a fan of G-Bodies for a very long time. As a Christmas present for myself last year I finally got what I've been wanting for several years - 84 Grand Prix. I bought it from a friend of mine that had it since she was 18... and brand new. I won't go into detailed plans that I have for it but I'm looking for something that's a good balance of power, efficiency, and bringing it back to the original idea for the Grand Prix: Personal Luxury.

I was able to get it running shortly after I bought it but that old 230K mile V6 locked up on it.

5624061200_e760a834f9_b.jpg

5767091856_7dda21ae86_b.jpg

Welcome to the site! Hope you enjoy your stay and I hope we can help you with the GP! Remember dont be afraid to ask questions 😀

Nice ride man I got one WORD that sums that car up POTENTIAL looks like you have a really nice car to work with.

Welcome aboard! Good site with good people. So.....are you going to be joining the Force and putting Poncho power in that or going to the Darkside with a SBC :lol:

G-Body_Vet said:
Welcome aboard! Good site with good people. So.....are you going to be joining the Force and putting Poncho power in that or going to the Darkside with a SBC :lol:

Sorry to say but I have to go with the darkside on this one - 305. I don't need all the power that a 350 can provide. You can get enough juice out of a 305 to be a decent ride, and that's what I'm shooting for. Plus I already have one that's a nearly new crate 305 for $200. Can't pass that up. I'll be bolting up a solid 200 4R to it.

Potential - YES! With the exception of the front passenger side fender, the body on this thing is straight as an arrow. The only rust is the surface rust on the frame. I live in northwest GA so nuf' said about that...lol Once more my area is littered with G-Bodies running and not running. Parts for G-Bodies as a whole are plentiful around here. You see them here all the time. Grand Prixs are few and far between but you see a sh*t load of Elkies, Montes, and Cutlasses with the occasional Regal.

This forum has already been a huge help. I've been reading it for a number of months now and there are several ideas that have been posted.

And I have to say, that Rawdog GP is one of the best, if not the best custom job I've seen on any car - period.

jasonreid said:
G-Body_Vet said:

Sorry to say but I have to go with the darkside on this one - 305. I don't need all the power that a 350 can provide. You can get enough juice out of a 305 to be a decent ride, and that's what I'm shooting for. Plus I already have one that's a nearly new crate 305 for $200. Can't pass that up. I'll be bolting up a solid 200 4R to it.

As long as the car fits the purpose you need, that's what counts. I'm a big advocate of the 200-4R as well. With today's gas prices there's no way I would run a 3 speed trans in anything I planned to drive regularly.

jasonreid said:
G-Body_Vet said:

Potential - YES! With the exception of the front passenger side fender, the body on this thing is straight as an arrow. The only rust is the surface rust on the frame. I live in northwest GA so nuf' said about that...lol Once more my area is littered with G-Bodies running and not running. Parts for G-Bodies as a whole are plentiful around here. You see them here all the time. Grand Prixs are few and far between but you see a sh*t load of Elkies, Montes, and Cutlasses with the occasional Regal.

This forum has already been a huge help. I've been reading it for a number of months now and there are several ideas that have been posted.

And I have to say, that Rawdog GP is one of the best, if not the best custom job I've seen on any car - period.

Welcome! Nice GP! I guess as for the most of who own 81+ GP's are part of the darkside. 😀 Both of my GP"s came with the 305.... 🙁 I wish i could do a Pontiac swap on either of my cars but my 85 would never pass emissions with a Pontiac 350 or 455 :twisted: And as mentioned above Grand Prix's are far more less common then the other models so it sticks out.. :mrgreen:

So, I guess I never really understood this ... "going back to it's roots" or "keeping it original" ...

The car came with a Chevy engine in it. That means that having a Chevy engine in it is original :idea: Its just that sometimes y'all talk about them, like they came with a Pontiac engine at some point. I understand it a Pontiac car, but the fact is that Pontiac was about the only engine that was never optioned for these cars :|

welcome to the china club, DRINK UP!

nice car but i noticed you said you dont need all the power a 350 can hold, i have two things to say to that... firstly a story

when I was 15 I was riding in my buddies jeep to go get some of his dads badass ****ing spaghetti, long story short in the presence of a deer we rolled 7 times and I was in shock trauma for 3 weeks during thanksgiving. when I finally got my license I drove fairly slow and cautious thinking why do people even want to drive fast its not thrilling at all.... I live on a road thats about 10 miles of just straight and nothing else, you can see from one end to the other and one day on my way home for no reason at all I just dropped the hammer (in the 3.9 jaguar aj lincoln ls 280 crank, badass as **** car if you cant afford an actual jag)) and I cut off at about 130 and my heart felt like I was arresting and I was about to have multiple strokes and contract an instant case of lupus it was so amazing... long story short here I am, 400 small block, the rape train has no brakes, car meets car shows machine shops, internal combustion engines are the greatest of all time etc....

not to mention #2, a 350 in pretty much all cases has a range of limitless power, you want a 100 horsepower it can do that, you want a 1000 horsepower it can do that and a lot more reliably than the stock v6

unfortunately I have to bounce for boston tea party peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor