Mr. Gasket thermostat rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I've begun to notice on multiple forums such as Moparts and some other forums that people are starting to have serious problems with their Mr. Gasket brand thermostats. A lot of people, including myself, go with the 160 degree high flow version and it works great for a couple thousand miles. Then people start to notice how the engine temp climbs more and more as time passes and more miles are put on the car.

I put one in my 80 malibu thinking it is coming from a good brand and its the high flow version. It worked great for about 6000miles for me before the motor started heating up a lot more. The car wouldn't go over 150 on the street and 170-180 on the highway. Now the engine is at 180-190 on the street and 200-225 on the highway. I've run through the system and had gotten rid of any possible chances of there being air pockets in the cooling system. I thought it was a great thermostat at first and told my dad to put one in his 1967 Dodge Dart GTS thinking it would help cool down his big block 440 that is pushing 650hp, 700lb. He started having these exact same problems with his thermostat before I did because my malibu is a daily driver and isn't as rowdy as his dart.

Is anyone on this forum having these same problems or have had past experiences with mr.gasket thermostats? I went out to the local NAPA and bought a premium thermostat by stant rated for 160 degrees.

Picture122.jpg

Dartmovie017.jpg

86oldsgbody

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2009
NC
I had a problem like that with mine in my cutlass. I returned it and got another and had the problem again, so I heard that if you drill a small hole in the side of it it helps relieve some of the pressure and allowes it to open easier. After doing this (its been about 15,000 miles) I haven't had any problems with it...yet.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I think my dad drilled 3 holes in his dart's thermostat but still has issues with it. A lot of guys stand by the NAPA version made by stant. Supposed to be a heavy duty premium thermostat and you can get it in a 160, 180, or 195 (He almost sold me a 195 :roll: ).

adumb

Master Mechanic
Jun 10, 2007
Western, NY
yeah, i was advised against a 180 degree mr. gasket. when i replaced mine.

i went with failsafe. i sell almost everyone on one that comes to me looking for one. its usually 15 dollars and worth every penny.

bobcat

Apprentice
Jul 15, 2009
Edmonton, Canada
I have had no luck with any Mr Gasket junk. I don't know if their chrome stuff lasts, but their mechanical parts sure don't. I have a Mallory adjustable fuel pressure regulator on my turbo car that CONSTANTLY needs adjustment. These should be "set and forget" items.....I'm just glad I put a gauge on it so I can tell when it's getting stupid......

nawlins-tim

Master Mechanic
Nov 9, 2009
New Orleans, LA USA
I know this is an OLD thread but , this afternoon I Googled "problems with Mr. Gasket thermostat' and low and behold here we are.
My rant goes like this. I had a thermostat in my chevy 350 already( couldn't remember the temp. rateing) but was having some temp problems. So i swapped the old one, which was a high flow design 195, for a mr. gasket 180*. I don't know how long but with in a few months-maybe 200 miles I started noticeing my motor was takeing longer to cool after the thermos. opened. So I got another mr. gasket(#2) and took a friend advise and went with a 160*. when I did THIS swap I checked the 180 on the kitchen table and it opened but got to 190 or so before fully opening. Anyway I didn't get any improvement with the 160* so I flushed and added water wetter when I noticed how long it was takeing for the system to open up so I could completely fill the block with water and no air. Thought maybe my guages were malfunctioning so I took the 160* out and checked THAT ONE on the stove and there you go , it was takeing forever to open. Actually , I put the old 180* and the 160* in a pot of water on the stove and the 180* opened first at 195*(which sucks) and the 160* onlyopened about an 1/8th of an inch and didn't budge any futher all the way to boiling. So now I'm running with out a thermostat and it took about the same time to warm up as with a thermostat.
So all I can say is don't waste your money on MR. GASKET High flow( ha, ha) thermostats. I know I still have a flow problem with my cooling system but If I ever get it straightened out I try a Stant product if anything at all.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
mr gasket sucks now. they werent always this bad though.

stant has fine thermostats. i'm putting a 180 degree high flow in my car as soon as i get the parts to finish putting the housing on....damned bypass hose! we hates it, doesnt we precious? yes yes, we hatessssss it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor