1979 Pontiac Lemans Safari build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I got lucky once and was able to push the stuck bolt out with an impact chisel. It was facing the wrong way to get at it, so I cut the head of the bolt off with an air cutoff tool and used a blunt faced round chisel attachment to knock it through out backwards.

pricklover

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2010
i was reading this thread and thought i would give alittle input on your stuck bolt problem. try heating the bolt up alittle not red hot just put alittle heat to it then touch it with paraffin wax. the wax will suck up in there and most of the time it will help loosen it up i use this trick alot.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
figured I would update my thread with two separate threads I started to ask questions.

So this happened when I was trying to get off my lower control arm http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23536 got it off though and went back to work so did not touch the ratty wagon for a good six months.

got laid off this past friday so got more work in wire brushed and painted what I could reach changed all the control arm bolts to 1/2" for a snugger fit (the whole time while i was drilling out the holes to the bigger size I was having flashbacks of the grinder hehe sweating like I was running a marathon) and installed my tubular upper and lower control arms 1" drop springs, had a little issue but with help from the forum got that worked out. http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27898 just have to install the tie rods and put on the ground and get my gn drive shaft back from my cousin who changed the u joints and off I go!

wade

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sounds like you're making progress, Wade. Sorry to hear about your lay-off. That sucks to say the least. Well, at least you'll have more time to finish off some necessary work on the car.
It's a double edged sword. When you're working you don't have the time to work on the car, but you're making money. When you're not working, you have the time, but the money isn't rolling in like it used to.
Good luck getting the car together, and for you to get back into the job force.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
Longroof79 said:
Sounds like you're making progress, Wade. Sorry to hear about your lay-off. That sucks to say the least. Well, at least you'll have more time to finish off some necessary work on the car.
It's a double edged sword. When you're working you don't have the time to work on the car, but you're making money. When you're not working, you have the time, but the money isn't rolling in like it used to.
Good luck getting the car together, and for you to get back into the job force.

Thanks jack I hope I get back soon too, trying to get to vegas in september for my sis's wedding. As for the ratty wagon got the front end buttoned up here's a few pics of the front suspension, tubular uppers and lowers, 1" intrax drop springs, new moog front end kit, suspension technique 1 3/8" hollow bar, poly end links and sway bar bushings! tomorrow I will post up pic's of the new stance got late 10 p.m when I finally put the wheels down.

wade
IMG_20110510_183728.jpg

IMG_20110510_183632.jpg

IMG_20110510_183624.jpg

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Looks good, Wade.
Nice suspension goodies. You can't stress the importance of a tight front end. I'm curious to see how the car sits with those springs. Thanks for posting pics of your progress. Keep up the good work.

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
here's the pics of the new stance I like it! Today going to try start it , have to top off the trans made a absent minded mistake I've done a bunch of trans swaps so far but for some reason I forgot that if you have the car jacked up only in the front the trans is tilted back, so I pulled the old drive shaft and "there she blows!" Haha I lost a like 2 quarts before I had the drive shaft back in to stop it :blam:

IMG_20110511_110759.jpg

IMG_20110511_095259.jpg

Wade

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
hey Wade. She looks really hot with the new stance! I love your hood!!!!!! I have always though the GTO scoops would cool on a lemans hood ever since my first Gbody in 82 (79 GrandAm). But I don`t have the skills to do it myself and couldn`t afford to buy a GTO hood to cut apart to have the job done. That really looks awsome!
Dean

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
As Dean said, I also love the new stance, Wade.
When I lived in NY, you couldn't have a car lowered. Between raised manhole covers, pot holes, ice and snow...it wouldn't make sense. Ask Mark (Bonnewagon), he'll tell you.
Are those the Intrax springs? Also, would you still be able to load the rear of the wagon, or would you need to add air bags?

Looking good man. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor