1979 Pontiac Lemans Safari build thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

79wagonator

Greasemonkey
Apr 21, 2011
Long Island, NY
Nice Stance! 8) Thats the way Id like my wagon to sit.
Who sells the Intrax springs?
BTW has anyone else noticed how far back on the door the mirrors are on our wagons? Seems like they can be moved foward bout 6inches. Or is it just me? :?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
79wagonator said:
Nice Stance! 8) Thats the way Id like my wagon to sit.
Who sells the Intrax springs?
BTW has anyone else noticed how far back on the door the mirrors are on our wagons? Seems like they can be moved foward bout 6inches. Or is it just me? :?
Dave,
That's just the way they were placed. You'll notice that the newer style '86+ mirrors are mounted more forward.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Nice work Wade, she looks fantastic. As Jack said, that low stance would last about a block in NYC. Between the scoops and the wheels it's a 60's retro ride for sure. Great job!

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
thanks guys, yup those are intrax springs they only come in purple, unfortunately they were discontinued by intrax a while back. Even though the stuff I just put on my wagon are new I bought everything like 5 yrs ago it was originally meant for my 79 cutlass but it got sold. As for loading the back it has four pontiac rally II rims in it right now but I have air bags like warrens I'm still going to put in but I have to get my new exhaust first because they are too close to the coils (l almost touching) and they recommend at least 2" so the bags don't over heat and fail.

@1979ratrod, hehe I think not my friend I love those rims classic's and they are the 15x7 ones, I see mostly the 14x6 being sold used, I think that I may spring for the 235 60 15 in the front to match the back right now the fronts are 215's.

so next on the list save for the exhaust, and new cross member (the iceman one I got is weird does not tuck up high enough for me there is like + 2" more to the floor board and with it being lowered I want the them tucked as far up as possible) so think I'm gonna give a g force another try when I had the th350 in there the exhaust arches was millimeters away from the floor board with a g force, also with the iceman I have now the trans is tilted backwards so I had to put plates between the trans mount and x member to correct it cause with the tilt the fan was hitting the shroud, ended up having to space the shroud with rubber too, worked all good but I hate the feeling that I had to rig stuff like that, hopefully a g force will fix it :D and last install my edelbrock IAS shocks that should be in next month, and pro touring bar from spohn or H&R parts. Then I'm done touching it.....hopefully! hehe, untill I save enough for auto body and paint (have to go to a shop for that :( )

wade

1980PontiacWagon

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2011
khan0165 said:
here's a picture of the GP's underside... Note how the headers are flat at the bottom
11.jpg

GASP!!! where do you get the frame brace that goes straight accross and connects the two frame horns together???

1980PontiacWagon

Greasemonkey
Mar 23, 2011
good to know...to bad there aren't any good junk yards around here..surprised my wagon didn't come with one, it came with all the other bracing. :(

19cutlass79

Greasemonkey
Mar 7, 2010
Took her out for a spin today idled her around the block one way then the other to get the fluid in the rear sloshed around good to the new axle bearings, the car steering doesn't pull but feels a little squirly at low speeds I am going to take her in for an alignment just to have everything squared, coming up a long street near my house I decide to get on it it stumbles in first carb needs a rebuid I think and fresh gas, I mashed it rolling at 15mph after the stumble she just screams, I let her upshift to thrid get off the gas and smash it again to see how the downshift and the secondaries are working and it works good, it chirps on the down pulls hard then BAM! something let's loose and I hear something bounce off the undercarriage and road then I get a little vibe in the drivetrain and a little sick as I limp her around two corners to get to my house put her in park check the trans and oil fluid all good jack up the front take the tires off check all the new suspension parts, good, jump back in the car start her up fine, run through the gears in the garage trans engages fine, shut it off start swearing in my head only thing left is the rear end. Jack it up on stands , turn the wheels by hands no clunking sounds or broke sound, just to be sure I pull on the axle to see if the c clip went, nope, so I get under it look at the rear yoke and thank the powers that be, I blew a u joint cap which is weird checked the torque on the bolts still good, so I think that joint straps maybe stretched out so I bought new joint and straps, I will try it again tomorow, that concludes this edition of ratty wagon chronicles.

Wade

kuruption109

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 28, 2008
highland, CA
1980PontiacWagon said:
good to know...to bad there aren't any good junk yards around here..surprised my wagon didn't come with one, it came with all the other bracing. :(
picked up 2 of them on here today... one for me and the other for my buddy victor aka v2vera

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor