1980 Buick Century 3.8 2 barrel Dies Under Load

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
Hello all, I have a 80' century 3.8 2 barrel that dies under load. Basically, it has a ton of trouble starting, once started, it idles normally, but will die under normal acceleration. The car has a new carb, accelerator pump, distruputer, belts, alternator, battery, spark plugs & wires, valve covers, and fuel tank lines. Fuel pump is old but I took the fuel line off and cranked it and it shot a bunch of fuel out. Some vacuum lines are replaced, some are not, but are not horrible. Note, I drove the car for 3 years 0 issues and then one day it just died idling and that's when this started, carb has been cleaned since that and didn't help. Only thing im left to think is maybe a clogged cat however the exhaust does shoot out somewhat strong/normal if anything its worn. Would greatly appreciate any feedback.

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
could be a clogged cat they will let enough exhaust out when idling but not at higher rpm while in park rev up the engine 2500 rpm is it ok or does it bog down ? or the timing chain could have jumped a tooth .

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Sticky needle valve.

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
could be a clogged cat they will let enough exhaust out when idling but not at higher rpm while in park rev up the engine 2500 rpm is it ok or does it bog down ? or the timing chain could have jumped a tooth .
It revs ok in park. If you rev it quickly it will shake and might even die, if you rev it slowly it works normally. I checked the timing and it was spot on. I have an old style cat with a plug on the bottom, could I just remove that plug to relieve pressure to test if its clogged?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Is the needle valve part of the carburetor? If so I doubt its the cause as it was professionally cleaned, looked at, and tuned.
Depends on the quality of the parts used. Cheap parts degrade quickly when exposed to E10 gas.

The needle valve is what controls fuel flow into the carburetor. It is connected to the fuel float. The needle has a viton tip and low quality ones can become sticky and not allow enough fuel through at higher RPMs. A cheap neefle can degrade in days.

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
don;t see why not it will be loud they used to sell cat bypass pipe that would install in the place of the cat or sometimes they hollowed them out just as a test

Reactions: 1 user

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
Depends on the quality of the parts used. Cheap parts degrade quickly when exposed to E10 gas.

The needle valve is what controls fuel flow into the carburetor. It is connected to the fuel float. The needle has a viton tip and low quality ones can become sticky and not allow enough fuel through at higher RPMs. A cheap neefle can degrade in days.
Is this something that I could replace myself relatively easy. I don't want to make you work but if you link one for me. Would greatly appreciate it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor