1980 Buick Century 3.8 2 barrel Dies Under Load

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
Carb, distributor, overall engine compartment, pull plug or 2. Have you checked thd distributor cap and rotor?
I will get those pictures asap as im away from the car at the moment. Not sure what the thd is, but I did check the distributer cap and rotor, I also cranked the engine with the rotor off to make sure it spun good. In the mean time I have a few other videos which may be of help of me reving it in park (you can see the hesitation) and it idleing. Smoke sometimes comes from the engine bay when its high idleing which is also something that appeared when these issues started.

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
RPReplay_Final1705911922.gif
Your carb may look different.
In response to post #11...to elaborate when you move the throttle lever, the squirt of fuel is to cover up any lean spots. Lack of the squirting, engine falls on it's face. You keep saying that it can't be the carb bc it was rebuilt professionally by a reputable mechanic. Doesn't mean squat to me if you're not getting the accelerator pump "squirt" shot. Verify and if it's good, we move on to the next item. What is that loud clanging sound in your video???

Last edited:

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
You seemed to have slipped in those last 2 videos right as I sent my reply. My comment was referring to your first posted video that you are trying to start the engine. Sounds like some kind of mechanical clanging going on.

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
One of the ugly noises is the starter is too tight in the ring gear. Needs shims.

Reactions: 1 user

gbodybuick

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2023
You seemed to have slipped in those last 2 videos right as I sent my reply. My comment was referring to your first posted video that you are trying to start the engine. Sounds like some kind of mechanical clanging going on.
Oh, that is the engine firing for a second then failing and clashing with the starter wheel.

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
in the first video i saw a puff of smoke while cranking could be an ignition problem check plug wires are in the cap right and check cap for cracks might want to replace cap and rotor sometimes the cap is bad but looks ok

Reactions: 1 user

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
This is along my train of thought. All the symptoms are reminiscent of a bad ignition module in the distributor.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Smoke looks like valve cover gasket. Excessive crankcase pressure and weird leaks seem to occur after lots of cranking and misfiring and not-driving lol.

PCV valves is something else to check!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor