1982 Monte Carlo

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicejar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 15, 2006
A local dealership has a 1982 Monte Carlo with 62,000 orginal miles. It has a rebuilt 355 with only 5000 miles. The car is in show condition. Basically take it to the car wash and take it to the car show. They are asking $9,000 for the car. Is this a reasonable price? I looked on nada.com they say high retail is worth about $8900.

juicejar

87MonteSS

Master Mechanic
Jan 3, 2006
Winnipeg, Canada
Is it an SS or...??

There seem to be a lot of cars popping up with low miles yet have rebuilt engines in them. It just doesn't add up to me. I would ask why someone would put a rebuilt 355 in a car that only has 57,000 miles on the clock. If they still had the original 305 and wanted more juice I could see it, maybe. But then I would expect that they held on to the orignal low mile engine too.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I would be wary of the 62k number, it could be 162k... it could have been some little old lady's go-to-church car, and it just gave it up one day so she got rid of it.... who knows for sure. only the guy who put the 355 in does.

is is worth $9k? *I* wouldn't give 9k for it. Unless it truly is pristine inside, outside, underneath and every place else, optioned out the wazoo, everything works, and it drives straight/like new it just isn't worth that. to me anyway.

more likely story is a dealer sees a 25 year old car that isn't falling apart and thinks he's got a RARE! ONE OF A KIND! (cough) classic or something. You'd be surprised what a little bit of elbow grease, armor all, and wax can do to make a car *look* good on the surface. I'd be skeptical.

But, if you're that interested, have them jack it up, crawl around underneath looking for *any* rust on the body (anywhere on it for that $) and frame (rear rails, up on top of the frame under the doors...), look to see if its been repainted and/or wrecked and repaired, too. Bad repaints are easy to spot, there'll be overspray in places there shouldn't be and likely mask lines and thicker paint around the doors/trunk hood etc. check the body lines for straightness, make sure you see it on a good level bit of concrete....

basically give it a *really* good going over if you're considering it.

85t5mcss

Master Mechanic
Apr 24, 2006
Indy, IN
If its an original car, then is it worth it? To me, yes. Just today I saw and looked over an 88 Monte SS with original 15,ooo miles. And it showed. I would've given $12 for it, IF I had the money. First thing I would check into is the engine, 355 sounds better than 305 when trying to sell a car. Check very carefully, too many scams. But, to answer your question, if its a show worty car and u don't plan on hacking it up (lowered, lifted, interior customizing....) then it sounds like its worth it. Only u can tell.

Where u located at, can u get lots of pics, interior, exterior, under hood, under car? If they are not a scammer, then they will let u take lots of pics.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It is only worth it if it truly is pristine with a perfect interior, body, paint etc. You have to consider what it would cost you to build a similar car and gather the parts, time involved, etc. The 355 would have to be a good 355 too, not just a parts store rebuild cheapie. The gearing, wheels, stereo, etc should all reflect that asking price too.A car with a 2.41 axle and stock TH200C with a great engine still needs at least $2,000 in upgrades to shine. I have more than that in my Cutlass as it sits, and it is unfinished. I would really have to see the car to see if it is built well enough to justify the price. Remember that a decent 305 Monte is still under $5k, and the extra $4k can buy a lot of upgrades. Then you would know what you have and have what you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor