CUTLASS Issues with HVAC System - 1982 Cutlass Supreme

studer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2023
Alberta
Hey everyone, been lurking on this forum and using it as a resource as I work on my first gbody that I recently bought, decided to join to request some help. I'm not new to working on vehicles, but I haven't owned a carbed vehicle before, nor have I owned anything older than 1989. My Cutlass is a 1982 so it's about a generation older than anything I've really dived into. I have two of the typical HVAC issues going on. They are, (1) only hot air comes into the cab, no matter whether the temp setting is at 65 or 85. And (2) air only blows out the windshield and floor vents, not the dash vents. Splitting these up into the two respective issues:

1. Only Hot Air in Cab
As far as I understand, changing the temp inside the cab is done via two systems. One is the cable system that is right behind the glove box. I've heard this can break pretty easily and often needs repair. Took my glovebox out and tested this cable unit, it seems like it's working. I don't see anything broken. As this is my first gbody, I may be missing something. This is detailed in the video linked below. The other system that I believe controls the heat in the cab is the vacuum-actuated valve on the heater hose that goes from the engine to the heater core. This is a grey vacuum line. I assume the function of this is that when that valve receives vacuum, the valve closes? Or is it the opposite? I also showed this in the video, but there is no vacuum here when the hvac control is set to the lowest temp setting. I believe I forgot to test whether there is vacuum when the hvac controls are set to the highest temp. What am I missing here? If you have suggestions on how to diagnose, let me know.

2. Blend Door Not Working, No Air out Vents
As far as I understand, the "default" hvac blend door setting is to divert air to the windshield and the floor. So if your blend door isn't working, that's the default state it'll basically revert to. And if you want air to come out the dash vents, this is a vacuum-operated thing. My research has led me to believe this is that purple/pink vacuum line that goes through the passenger side of the firewall and connects to the vacuum ball that is to the passenger side of the engine in the engine bay. There is a vacuum line connector behind the glove box as well, as shown in the video. I removed the purple line from it, and the engine side of that line does have vacuum. It's not a lot, but there's some. Not sure what else could be the problem with the blend door not working. I have not yet removed the center dash vents to lubricate the blend door in the dash. I may have to figure out how to do that. Any suggestions would be great.

Video I recorded of the issues, might be helpful if I've worded things poorly above:

Thanks in advance for the help!

EDIT: For future readers, it seems I have what's called a Tempmatic heater/AC system. Some of this stuff may not apply if you have the regular heater system. If your original temp control has red/blue and hot/cold indicators, you have the regular hvac system. If you have the number 65 to 85 on your temp control, that's the Tempmatic system.

Last edited:

brrian

Master Mechanic
Jul 7, 2022
Pittsburgh, PA
2. Blend Door Not Working, No Air out Vents
This could very well be a broken vacuum diverter valve... it's a very common issue on these. The plastic pin that holds it together breaks. Do you hear constant hissing behind your HVAC controls when moving through the different positions? That's a clue. It's easy to fix - here's a video of a guy fixing one:

I did mine. I have two extra valves already fixed & I'd part with one if you needed one, but you should be able to fix yours.

If you do this - when you test it, leave the HVAC controls hanging out of the dash as far as you can... far enough that you can tighten the new screw in the valve if you need to. The first time I did mine, I didn't have it tight enough & had to pull my controls back out. The screw needs to be tight enough to create a seal, but not so tight that it's difficult to spin.

My controls were affected by poor vacuum to the vacuum ball under the hood... I replaced a cracked vacuum line & fixed that.

1694597140180.png

studer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2023
Alberta
So I did a bunch more research, watched more YouTube videos on this, and read some more threads. I'm also now more lost than I was before. Specifically related to the heater control cable that's supposed to do...something under the dash. I believe it's supposed to control the temperature of the air into the cab. So everything I look up online makes me believe the heater control cable and pivot is supposed to look like this behind the glove box:

Screenshot_20230914_151532_YouTube (Small).jpg

Mine does not look like that. I do not have a plastic pivot, mine is a metal rod. The metal rod is holding that same white plastic female threaded connector that looks like it's supposed to thread onto the rod sticking further into the dash. Mine is not currently connected. This is what mine looks like when the engine is running.

20230914_151654 (2) (Small).jpg

The bent metal rod is pointing towards the driver's side of the car, and the threaded metal rod is pushed quite a ways out, towards the back of the car. When the car is turned off, the threaded rod retracts gets pulled back into the dash and the bent metal rod turns 90 degrees and now points towards the front of the car. This is shown here:

20230914_152146 (2) (Small).jpg

Whether the vehicle is running or not, the bent metal rod is not loose. It's connected to some sort of spring assembly inside the black box it's attached to. The threaded rod from the dash can move side to side, it's not held on one axis, so it can be moved around as necessary. I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to connect these to work. I can't find any threads or videos online that have this same bent metal rod for the blend door actuation, I can only find the plastic pivot. Please let me know your suggestions, or if you have a photo of how this is all supposed to connect, that would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

studer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2023
Alberta
Do you hear constant hissing behind your HVAC controls when moving through the different positions?
Thanks for getting back to me on this. I just watched part of that video. I definitely do not have the same hissing sound from behind the hvac controls, or anywhere along the vacuum lines between the hvac controls and the engine bay. This doesn't seem like the same issue.

gp471

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2022
So I did a bunch more research, watched more YouTube videos on this, and read some more threads. I'm also now more lost than I was before. Specifically related to the heater control cable that's supposed to do...something under the dash. I believe it's supposed to control the temperature of the air into the cab. So everything I look up online makes me believe the heater control cable and pivot is supposed to look like this behind the glove box:

View attachment 227987

Mine does not look like that. I do not have a plastic pivot, mine is a metal rod. The metal rod is holding that same white plastic female threaded connector that looks like it's supposed to thread onto the rod sticking further into the dash. Mine is not currently connected. This is what mine looks like when the engine is running.

View attachment 227989

The bent metal rod is pointing towards the driver's side of the car, and the threaded metal rod is pushed quite a ways out, towards the back of the car. When the car is turned off, the threaded rod retracts gets pulled back into the dash and the bent metal rod turns 90 degrees and now points towards the front of the car. This is shown here:

View attachment 227990

Whether the vehicle is running or not, the bent metal rod is not loose. It's connected to some sort of spring assembly inside the black box it's attached to. The threaded rod from the dash can move side to side, it's not held on one axis, so it can be moved around as necessary. I have absolutely no idea how I'm supposed to connect these to work. I can't find any threads or videos online that have this same bent metal rod for the blend door actuation, I can only find the plastic pivot. Please let me know your suggestions, or if you have a photo of how this is all supposed to connect, that would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

gp471

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2022
you seam to have a tempmatic system and i can see rusty metal rod[air door] off the plastic clip,

studer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2023
Alberta
you seam to have a tempmatic system and i can see rusty metal rod[air door] off the plastic clip,
Thanks. Never heard of "tempmatic" before now. Do I just need to thread the metal rod into the white plastic threaded clip? If so, how do I know how far to thread it in? With this tempmatic system, does the cable from the rear of the HVAC controls not connect directly to the threaded rod or the bent metal rod?

gp471

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 15, 2022
Thanks. Never heard of "tempmatic" before now. Do I just need to thread the metal rod into the white plastic threaded clip? If so, how do I know how far to thread it in? With this tempmatic system, does the cable from the rear of the HVAC controls not connect directly to the threaded rod or the bent metal rod?
tempmatic was a popular system on deltaa 88 cars,semi automatic system for temp with bi metal adjustments to work the temp only,thats why you have numbers on your controls instead of blue red or hot cold.the rod simply snaps down in plastic clip.i would set to cold and snap it down in clip at the rods fullest movement to cold.i think but not sure but pulling rod towards you is cold.if you suceed and works dont full with getting temp numbers to math temp.they where aprox and never accurate.be happy with hot cold.dont think parts are available anyway

studer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2023
Alberta
tempmatic was a popular system on deltaa 88 cars,semi automatic system for temp with bi metal adjustments to work the temp only,thats why you have numbers on your controls instead of blue red or hot cold.the rod simply snaps down in plastic clip.i would set to cold and snap it down in clip at the rods fullest movement to cold.i think but not sure but pulling rod towards you is cold.if you suceed and works dont full with getting temp numbers to math temp.they where aprox and never accurate.be happy with hot cold.dont think parts are available anyway
Ok thanks. At some point tomorrow I'll start the car, set the temp to cold, and see if/how the straight threaded rod moves. If my memory is correct, I'll be snapping the threaded rod into the plastic clip when the threaded metal rod is sticking out the furthest and when the bent metal rod is pointing to the drivers side of the car. Hopefully it doesn't snap or break any clips after connecting them. So the cable doesn't connect to either the threaded rod or the bent metal rod holding the plastic clip?

studer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 11, 2023
Alberta
Ok so I got into my footwell again and snapped that straight threaded metal rod into the plastic clip that's on the bent metal rod. I can confirm that:
  • When the straight threaded rod is pushed all the way back into the dash (aka towards the firewall), the air coming into the cab is cooler.
  • When the straight threaded rod is pulled all the way out (aka towards the seat), the air coming into the cab is hot.
That being said, I can't figure out a way to make the temperature control cable (the cable behind the controls that moves in and out when you adjust the temp from 65 to 85) do anything to the bent metal rod with the plastic clip in it, or the straight threaded metal rod. It's like they don't interact. I recorded an update video on my phone, I'll link it below.

I also have not made any headway in terms of figuring out how to get air to come out the dash vents instead of just the windshield and floor vents.

Sorry for the portrait video orientation...I know it's annoying lol. I thought I'd be able to get the phone up into the glove box area better.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor