1984 Cutlass Supreme Special Edition - What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Re: 84 Cutlass Supreme - Special Edition: Pictures

djrobnyc said:
Thank you all for your assistance. I've uploaded some pictures into my picture gallery -- assuming I did it correctly. Please take a look and tel me what you think.

seen one S/E before it was like an 83 or 84. Was in a Pick-A-Part. I snagged the one piece that seemed to stand out. The dash center vent with the "special edition" emblem ... I should look around and find that, post the picture ... it was a V-6 car too and a Supreme Brougham (based on the interior)

phaZe

Greasemonkey
Aug 16, 2008
Looks like something a dealership slapped on there. Probably has all the options. I don't believe it was a model GM produced, just a dealership side modification.

Nice Cutty. :D

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
GM has a history of permitting alliances of dealerships in an area to make special models. The New York area had the Grand Prix SSJ in like 78/79.
Had a landau roof with a rear window like in a limo, stainless targa band, special nameplates, genuine wire wheels (I believe).
Does this Cutlass have anything unusual about it?

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
srercrcr said:
GM has a history of permitting alliances of dealerships in an area to make special models. The New York area had the Grand Prix SSJ in like 78/79.
Had a landau roof with a rear window like in a limo, stainless targa band, special nameplates, genuine wire wheels (I believe).
Does this Cutlass have anything unusual about it?

Olds did this frequently in the 70s and 80s. There were the GMO editions by the Northeast dealers in the late 1970s, for example. These are almost always just decals/stickers/emblems on otherwise stock vehicles. Rarely are these particularly valuable.

darthvaderolds

Apprentice
Dec 28, 2008
Chicagoland
djrobnyc said:
I'm looking to possibly buy an 84 Special Edition, but I can't really find any information on this model. Did it really exist, stock, or is this a custom job? The car does not say Brougham anywhere, and has a 6 cylinder engine. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
This car did exsist and was a factory production model.My friend Kevin White owns a 1984 SE Cutlass Supreme. If you ordered the sandGray Interior it looked exactly like the 1983 Hurst OLds interior w/Sand gray less Buckets.
The option code was WJE based on the 1984 cutlass supreme coupe (R47)and it made its debut in early dec 1983. I have attached a Press Release picture of the car that came with the WJ3 Dealership Bulletin. Details below...
DlrMemo.jpg

The package was intended to elevate the elegance of the cutlass supreme to new heights,as the Olds Dealership bulletin states.
Features of the car included...
Firemist Paint, avaiable in either #74 Autumn Red Firemist or #87 Medium Sandgrey Firemist
Regency Trimi Winslow Velour trim avaiable in either
Dark Maple (W5- notchback bench-std) or (X5-divided split with dual controls AM6 )
Sand Gray (W1- notchback bench-std) or (X1-divided split with dual controls AM6 )
Specific accent stripe design of either gold or silver, The specialstriping includes both hood,rear deck, over wheelopenings, in additon to sides.
Locking simulated Wire Wheel discs (W91) perferred choice in the elegance package but the new SS Chromewheels (N66) maybe selected at the same cost. If you choose SS Chrome wheels they were color cordinated with the Aut Red Firemist in the wheel pockets. On Med Sand Gray they were painted black.
Specific Special Edition Emblems identifying these cars appear both on the sail panels and center instrument panel.
Color coordianted sport mirrors (D35) you could also order remote mirrors (D68) for both drivers side and pass side.
Color Coordinated body side molding (B84)
The MSRP for the package was only $355 which was actually a bargin since the locking wire wheels and firemist paint cost much more than the WJ3 option.
You could also combine this with the popular option package WL7 or the Diesel traveling Package WL6
Pricing for the options were as follows...
MSRP
V1K Firemist paint $210
N/A Special Accent Stripes $45
B84 Color Coordinated Body Side Moldings $45
D35 Color Coordinated sport mirrors $53
N91 Simulated locking wheels $190
N/A Regency Trim N/A
Special Edition Emblems N/A

Total MSRP in excess of $543.00
MSRP of WJ3 option $355.00
Total savings in excess of $188.00 you saved

Popular Option Package (WJ7) includes followed by MSRP $
N66 SS Wheels $99- UL1 ETR AM-FM Radio with clock $277
U75 Power frt Antenna $60 - D90 Accent stripe $45
QMX P195/75 R14 Steel Belted radial whitewalls $62 -
N33 Tilt steering wheel $110.00 -CD4 Pulse wiper $50
Total MSRP $703 Total savings $200

You could combine the WJ6 Diesel Traveling package at a savings of $300
THey had you refer to Olds Bulletin 83-6 from Aug 29th, 1983 for more info.
Seating and fabric ordering codes were
Custom notchback bench seat W5 dark maple W1 Sand Grey
Custom divided bench w/ Dual control X5 darl maple X1 Sand grey

Items not available with WJ3
AC3 6way power bucket seats-A51 Bucket seat-D55 Sport console
D90 accent stripe - Y71 Paint scheme - N67 SS Wheels painted
To order the CSC R47 with Special Ed Package you simply inserted WJ3 in the "additions to select a unit" section of your ordering form. Designate theupper and lower exterior paint color,specify seat/trim, and leave accent box blank. Each option such as the Poplular Option package WL7 also needed to be inserted in the "additions to select a unit" section of your ordering form.

kikasas

n00b
Mar 23, 2009
Hello as for your 1984 Cutlass Supreme Special Edition.They do exist.I have one too,it's an 84 also,& yes it did have the V6 in it from factory,but now has a 403 V8.It come with power windows & locks,7 power drivers side seat 60/40 split bench.It had the 1/4 vinyl top,& spoked 14" hub caps.Dash should saw special edition on the dash above the glove box.I can send photos,but only of the way it looks now.

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
For wanting to elevate the luxury level, they should have made that 60/40 seat moe pillowtop like the top of the line early Gs.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Pretty much every year of G body had a pillow top seat option. They were called the Cutlass Supreme Brougham, Regal Limited, Monte Carlo Luxury Sport ( I think) and there was also a Grand Prix that I have seen. It too might have been called a Brougham.

What I wish is that GM had put together a G body with the optional Recaro Seats from the early 3rd gen F bodies, the L89 TPI 350 (or the Turbo 6 from the GN) and the T-5 5 speed. Add in 4 wheel disc brakes, Trans Am GTA wheels and a factory version of a negative roll conversion (without the bump steer issue) and you would have had almost the perfect G body.

DelOhio

Greasemonkey
Mar 1, 2009
Delaware, Ohio
I used to work for a shop that does "Sim-Con" tops. (The Vynal Simulated Convertible Tops) Keep in mind any shop or dealer can stick just about anything on either the inside or outside of any vehical. Always check VIN numbers if you doubt a model or special badging.

Not trying to inferr that that is the case in the car you are looking at. I just felt it was relevant.

OSITOMPK

n00b
Dec 15, 2009
HELLO I AM NEW HERE JUST TO REPLY TO THIS.. I HAVE A 1984 OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS SUPREME SPECIAL EDITION. I GOT IT ABOUT 6 YEARS AGO FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER. IT CAME WITH THE ORIGINAL BILL OF SALE AND IT SAYS SPECIAL EDITION ON IT. I DON'T KNOW WHY?? MINE IS CHARCOAL GREY WITH LIGHT GREY INTERIOR. I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW THAT THEY ARE OUT THERE. THANKS :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor